Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Is Anyone Listening?

There have been times in my life when I felt like my prayers weren’t going past the ceiling. When those times occur, I don’t spend so much time praying because if feels like a worthless activity. Because of those times, it is of great interest to me to listen in on Jesus’ answer to the disciples when they ask him to teach them to pray.

Jesus spent a lot of time praying to the Father. And sometimes we find Peter, James and John with him – sleeping while he is praying. But here, the disciples are waking up and realizing that it is not a spectator sport. So when Jesus finished praying, they ask him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” Luke 11:1 I’m sure Jesus thought, “Glad you asked. It’s about time!” Here in Luke 11, we get a really good look at what happens when we knock on heaven’s door with our prayers.

Jesus starts out with what we know as “The Lord’s Prayer”, though this is not the version we memorize. It contains acknowledgement of God’s holiness, asking for our daily bread, asking for forgiveness of our sins as we forgive others, and asking to not be lead into temptation.

Then he tells a story about a man knocking on a friend’s door asking for bread because some guests have arrived and he has nothing to give them. The friend tells him to go away because he is already in bed and doesn’t want to get up to help him. But the man persists and finally, the friend gets up and gives him the bread. Jesus follows this by saying, “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you fill find; knock and the door will be opened. Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11:9-13

We quote these verses often when we put our requests before God’s throne. It sounds like we can ask for anything and know that God is listening. But how often do we bring our list just like a list we prepare for Santa Clause at Christmas time? “Okay God, here’s the big gift I want – please heal my friend from cancer. And then God, I would like you to make my mean neighbor quit pestering me and I would like that new car so I can get back and forth to church better, and Lord, I know you want to prosper me, so if I could have a bigger house that would be cool too. Oh, and by the way, take care of the people around the world who are starving.” And we go on and on requesting and even sometimes demanding. Even when we are praying for our friends and neighbors, we present it like an ongoing list. We totally forget about honoring God with praise and thanksgiving. We forget that he is a holy God and that he already knows all these things. And we forget to thank him for the daily bread he provides (not just food, but strength, health, encouragement, etc.) We also don’t want to talk about the forgiveness we need – to be cleansed as we come to him. That would be to admit we make mistakes and are not perfect.

In his last statement, Jesus says, “how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11:13 Is he guiding the disciples in thinking about what it is they are asking for? He didn’t talk about the power to cast out demons or the provision for daily needs of food and a place to sleep. First he assures his disciples that God is listening. He will hear what you ask for. But he also lets them know that God is thinking, caring and loving, and he will do what is best for his children. We can be confident in that. And finally, he is suggesting that the disciples ask for the Holy Spirit knowing with confidence that God is there ready to give it to them.

Of all the things God can give us, the Holy Spirit is what we should be asking for. Why? It is the Holy Spirit that will give us wisdom and guides us through whatever else occurs in our lives. It is the Holy Spirit that will help us know how to pray and what to ask for. It is the Holy Spirit that will fill us with joy and thanksgiving and an understanding of God’s holiness.

Studying the Lord’s Prayer with Jesus as my teacher has revolutionized my prayer life. When I understand how much God loves me, my relationship with him becomes more of a friendship rather than a harsh judge and a cowering slave or rich man and poor beggar. We spend time talking together. And just like I would get worn out with a friend who only came to me when they needed something, I realize that I have much more to say to God than giving him a list of needs and wants. I can thank him and praise him noticing things in his creation like a beautiful sunrise, a melodious bird song, an intricate branch on a tree. I can thank him that I have great accommodations while I’m in this world – a warm place to stay at night, food to eat, friends and family that love me. I can ask his forgiveness and ask him to remind me who I need to forgive and draw from his strength and love to do so. And we can talk about people in my life who are suffering and I can ask him to bring healing to them – restoration to relationships, healing from diseases, and comfort in pain. I can listen for his voice especially during that time of sharing together, but throughout the day in the midst of things happening and people I cross paths with. Many times when Jesus spoke into people’s lives, it was ‘along the way,’ and I believe that is still true.

Those prayers don’t have to go past the ceiling because God, through his Holy Spirit, is sitting right here with me, listening to me and speaking to me as I make room for him in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment