Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lessons from the Hummingbirds

As I sit in my quiet place watching hummingbirds come to the feeder and the plants nearby, God speaks to me. “Consider the hummingbirds…” And as I consider them, I see that the feeder has three feeding stations and that there are three hummingbirds all wanting to eat. But instead of each sitting at a station and eating, they fight. One hummingbird thinks the food is hers and no one else is to have any. The problem is that even as she chases the others away, she has to be on her guard all the time. She can’t enjoy the food because she is either chasing others away or she is worried they will come again.

I sit here and say, “Silly hummingbirds! There is way more food where that came from and I will keep the feeder filled. Please, all of you, share! Sit, eat and enjoy. There is plenty to go around for all.”

And there, with the quite hum of their wings interjected periodically with a loud buzz and chirping as they fight, God speaks to me. “Yes, it is like that for me as well. I can provide for you everything you need, and yet you hoard things and worry about retirement accounts. Relax! Share! Enjoy the life I have given you. I have blessed you so that you can share, not so that you can hoard.”

“Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes… how much more valuable are you than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?... And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Luke 12:22-34

I wonder how far I am to take this… Should I own nothing? Jesus once said, “Sell your possessions and give to the poor.” Luke 12:33 Are we all supposed to do that?

I wonder if it is a matter more of the heart… how tightly do I hold on to things. The tighter I hold things, the more ‘stuff’ I have to manage and keep track of. If I travel lighter, I have more time to give to others because I am not spending so much time managing so much. If I need less, I have more to give to those in need.

I wonder if it is a matter more of the soul… how free am I to share the knowledge and wisdom and experience I have regarding God’s mercy, love and grace? Do I hoard it for myself and bask in my blessings? Or do I find needy souls around me and let God’s goodness flow through me and feed hungry souls? That would mean letting go of my precious time and listening to others – maybe even seeking them out when I know they are hurting or in need of my Master’s mercy. “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” Luke 12:48

“God is kind [even] to the ungrateful and the wicked.” Luke 6:35 If I am truly a follower of Christ, can I do any less? And if I am expected to be kind to the ungrateful and wicked, how much more so to those I call my friends and neighbors. And when I give, I am promised rewards both now and in eternity. “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38

Silly hummingbirds… Share! Silly humans… Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment