Sunday, April 10, 2011

For the Sake of Your Name

The Psalms are full of good stuff for grieving people. While Psalm 23 is a comfort, there are many Psalms that cry out to God, “Rescue me from my enemies.” On the journey of grief, we find many enemies along the way. Fear is the worst one. Our daughter-in-love made a list of 20 fears that she deals with. I share many of those fears. The first one is that somehow we are responsible for our son’s death, followed by I’ll never get past this grief and obsession over him and then I’ll forget to remember him. Irrational? Yes. But, nevertheless, real intrusions into our thoughts.

As I was reading Psalm 31 this morning, it grabbed my attention already in verse 1. “In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge…” Then, “Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me. Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.” Psalm 31:2-3

And there is was: “for the sake of your name.” Suddenly I see David (and myself) in a new light. In my self-aware, self-centered frame of mind, I’m thinking the emphasis is on, “save me,” “rescue me,” “hide me,” “shelter me,” but David says, “for the sake of your name,” take care of me. David was focused on what God was doing for the sake of God’s name – not just on saving his own skin. As I ponder this, I think of Moses when he was interceding for the Israelites after they had committed grievous sin while Moses was on the mountain with God. “But Moses sought the favor of the Lord his God, “O Lord,” he said, “why should your anger burn against your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand? Why should the Egyptians say, ‘It was with evil intent that he brought them out, to kill them in the mountains and to wipe them off the face of the earth’? Turn from your fierce anger; relent and do not bring disaster on your people. Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Israel… Then the Lord relented.” Exodus 32:11-14 Moses was also interested in “for your name sake” even as he pleaded for God’s mercy.

As I read down through the Psalm, I find, “Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O Lord, the God of truth.” Psalm 31:5 Jesus quoted the first part of this verse from the cross. Jesus was submitting to the will of God – even to the point of death on the cross.

“Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief. My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning; my strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak.” Psalm 31:9-10 I share this pain with David. I’m weary with grief and anguish.

“But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, ‘You are my God.’ My times are in your hands: deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me. Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love.” Psalm 31:14-16 “How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you. In the shelter of your presence you hide them from the intrigues of men; in your dwelling you keep them safe from accusing tongues. Praise be to the Lord, for he showed his wonderful love to me when I was in a besieged city [a state of grief]. In my alarm I said, ‘I am cut off from your sight!’ Yet you heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help. ‘Love the Lord, all his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful.’” Psalm 31:19-23

I wonder then, as I journey through this grief, if my focus is on “for the sake of your name,” or is it on me? If my focus is on me, I find myself drowning in irrational fear and pain. If my focus is on the Lord, I see his hand outstretched to me, pulling me out of my sea of fear and pain, rescuing me, because he is a loving and merciful God. And I shout with David, “Love the Lord, all his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful.” Psalm 31:23

No comments:

Post a Comment