Thursday, February 4, 2021

Big Questions that Want Answers

From the time we can talk, one of the first and most consistent questions we ask is, “Why?” There is no end to what children attach to that word. Why is the sky blue? Why is there a moon? Why do I need to go to bed? And on and on they question. As we grow up, the question takes on a different intensity. Scientists and philosophers answer the question with their research and ponderings.

One question in particular plagues us most of our lives. Why do ‘bad’ things happen to ‘good’ people? It is an age-old question that comes up pretty much every time we suffer hardship or loss.

Reading God’s preserved stories about Joseph and Job simultaneously and adding my own experiences with suffering, has given me a different perspective on this big question, “Why?” Joseph answered the question with, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people.” Genesis 50:20 NLT And Job was answered by God with, “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?” Job responds with, “I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’ It is I – and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things too wonderful for me… I have only heard of you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. I take back everything I have said, and I sit in the dust and ashes to show my repentance.” Job 42:2-6 NLT

Somehow, in this world, we have a magnified self-importance. We forget who created us for what purposes and we get busy taking care of our own interests – things that make us more comfortable and put our mind at ease. Like Job, we may be good people doing a lot of good for others or like Joseph, we may be striving as slaves for masters who get all the benefits of our labors. Both had a relationship with God but could only see their little part of the world. Job used his wealth and position to bless others. Joseph used his gifts and talents to do well where he was placed. He didn’t know why, but he continued to believe that God had a plan, and he used his time in slavery to learn and develop skills that would later take him straight to the top in a foreign land, second only to Pharaoh. Job lost everything including his health and questioned God. Up until now, he believed that if he shared and was hospitable and used the wisdom God gave him to bless others, God would fulfill his need for comfort and peace. So he was trying to defend himself but God wouldn’t listen to his defense! Different journeys, but same destination! God, in His wisdom, uses the trials in this world to bring us to a place where we meet Him face to face and come to terms with His sovereignty and our need of His grace and mercy.

It is in our own suffering that we are able to gain this new perspective of where we fit into the picture. Without suffering, I believe I am king or queen of my own little universe. When suffering comes, my little perfect universe begins to crumble, and I begin to see that God is truly the ruler of the whole universe. He created it and He knows how to best manage it. I am a small but important part of His creation. He loves me dearly and will do what it takes to open my eyes to His glory, His goodness, His faithfulness, His power, His love and His awesome presence. Who am I to question my maker? As Job says, it is all too wonderful for me to comprehend!

Now He has me in a place where I can more easily be used to His purposes. I become more flexible, more in tune with the Holy Spirit, more willing to obey. I don’t just go through the motions of worship. I truly worship because now I recognize who He is – my awesome Maker! God inhabits the praises of His children. His presence in me is more pronounced. His grace is evident in me and is easily extended to others because that is who He is!

We don’t naturally choose suffering, but God, in His mercy, knows exactly what each one of us need to come to the place where we can meet Him face to face and see His glory! He can use any circumstance in this world to bring us to this place. If we give it to Him, He will use it for good because He is good.

Thank you, Lord, for not allowing me to be lost in my own little kingdom. In your mercy and grace, you called me out and brought me into your presence through your word and through my life circumstances. I praise you and honor you and give you all the glory, for you alone are worthy of all glory and praise! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment