Monday, November 23, 2009

Getting Ready

God had made it very clear when John was born that he had a special calling. Now another prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled. “A voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Prepare the way for the Lord… and all mankind will see God’s salvation.’” Isaiah 40:3-5. John begins his public ministry preaching a strong gospel of repentance to the descendents of Abraham who live in the Jordan valley. It seems they have become lax in their obedience to God and have this idea that because they are Abraham’s children, they are good enough. John is calling them to repent and be baptized. But John wants more than a verbal repentance from them.

“Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And don’t begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.’” Luke 3:8-9

When the people asked what they should do, John did not say, “Say the ‘Sinner’s Prayer' and be baptized, three times down face forward.” He immediately told them what ‘fruit’ they needed to be producing. “The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same.” Luke 3:11 John was telling the people the very things God had told them through the Laws given to Moses. “Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.” Deuteronomy 15:10-11 John is pointing the people back to the God who has provided richly for them and reminding them of the commandment to care for the poor among them.

“Tax collectors also came to be baptized. ‘Teacher,’ they asked, ‘what should we do?” Luke 3:12 Tax collectors were despised by the general Jewish population because they were working for the Roman government – their oppressors. And not only that, they were extracting extra money and getting rich off of their own people! But here they were listening to John and repenting and being baptized. John answers their question telling them how they can bear fruit in keeping with their repentance. “Don’t collect any more than you are required to.” Luke 3:13 John didn’t tell them to quit working for the Roman government and quit collecting taxes. But he does tell them to be honest and quit filling their pockets at the expense of others.

“Then some soldiers asked him, ‘And what should we do?’” Luke 3:14 Did I read that right? Soldiers were listening to John and repenting? “He replied, ‘Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely – be content with your pay.’” Luke 3:16 At first I wondered if these soldiers may have been Jews conscripted to serve in the Roman militia. But John’s response sure makes them sound like Roman soldiers. And again, John is not telling them to get out of the army, but rather telling them to be honest and kind towards others. That is the fruit they should be producing if they have truly repented.

Through John’s preaching, God is preparing people’s hearts for the Messiah. It seems that people’s hearts were so far from God’s heart that they needed to wake up or they were going to miss what was about to happen. “I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.” Luke 3:16 John is waking the people up from a long slumber and drowsiness. He is reminding them of prophecies that are about to be fulfilled. Get ready. Things are about to change!

I wonder if once again God’s people are sleeping or at least very drowsy. David Kinnaman shares statistics in his book, “unChristian,” that would indicate the fruit of ‘believers’ is not much different than that of ‘unbelievers’. We are called not just to repent, but to bear fruit in keeping with our repentance. If I truly believe that Jesus is the Messiah, how am I expressing that in my daily living? Do I believe that everything I have comes from God and is to be used to his honor and glory? Or am I hording the good gifts that he gives me and keeping them for myself? Do I believe that he loves all of those around me just as he loves me and that Jesus died for them as well as me? Or am I hording the Good News and keeping it to myself? Do I believe that his healing is for everyone? Or do I think it is just for those who go to church every Sunday – keepers of the law? Am I allowing God to change me and to give me eyes to see those around me he wants to touch using my hands? Where’s the fruit? Is it in keeping with my repentance – my understanding of who God is and how he relates to me?

Oh God, please forgive me for any hording I have been doing, and please fill me with your Holy Spirit so that I can see with your eyes those you have placed before me – those with whom you want me to share my wealth, those who need fairness, and those who need honesty. Please do not let me slumber and miss the work that you are doing. Fill me so that I can produce fruit in keeping with my repentance. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment