Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Prepare the Way!

The book of John is a testimony pointing to Jesus being the Christ. From beginning to end, John is convincing us that Jesus is indeed the Christ. The question is raised early in his book whether or not John the Baptist is the Christ. That leads me to believe that John was creating quite a stir. He wasn’t the average charismatic preacher, but rather he was a radical – opening the minds of the people to be ready to recognize the Christ when he appeared.

The book of John gives us just enough information to make John the Baptist a credible witness and then states his testimony. “John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, ‘I am the voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’’” John 1:22 “’I baptize with water,’ John replied, ‘ but among you stands one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.” John 1:26-27 “Then John gave this testimony: ‘I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God.’” John 1:34

So what was John preaching that created this stir that even brought the Pharisees out to question him? Luke gives us a more complete picture of John the Baptist. He first tells us about John’s birth – steeped in miracles and fulfilling prophesies. Then he shares some of the teachings of John the Baptist. “’What should we do then?’ the crowd asked. John answered, ‘The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same.’ Tax collectors also came to be baptized. ‘Teacher,’ they asked, ‘what should we do?’ ‘Don’t collect any more than you are required to,’ he told them. Then some soldiers asked him, ‘And what should we do?’ He replied, ‘Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely – be content with your pay.’” Luke 3:10-14

I’ve always heard that John the Baptist said, ‘Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of your sin.’ And he surely did say that. But he didn’t stop there. Repent brings with it the idea of turning around and doing things differently. John taught them what the ‘turn around’ should look like. And what he is saying basically is they are to take care of the poor and live a life of integrity. That sounds strangely familiar. If there is one thing God consistently speaks to each generation, it is to care for the poor, to share, and to live a life of integrity.

So is this John fellow someone I can believe? I think so. He got the attention of the leaders of his day. He certainly got the attention of the people. And his message is consistent with the message God has given to people from the beginning of time. But it is more urgent – ‘Prepare the way for the Lord!’

At the same time, this was not happening in Jerusalem, their holy city, but rather ‘on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing.’ John 1:28 It seems to me that he was purposefully staying just out of reach of the religious rulers of the day. His teaching was radical. He was saying that it isn’t enough to follow the rules, which, by the way, you pick and choose which ones you want to follow. He was preaching that a repentant life would get back to the basics. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love others as yourself. Jubilee wasn’t just a good idea. It was a command!

It seems that God has always had a tender heart for the poor. He has placed enough resources on this planet for everyone and he doesn’t like it when some hoard and others go without. I wonder if John was on to something important here – taking care of the poor is a way to prepare the way for the Lord. Caring for others and living a life of integrity opens the way for the Lord to meet with people and be recognized by them. I wonder if the opposite is also true – if I hoard and break the rules when it suits me, do I put things in the path that keep people from finding their way to God?

Oh God, help me to prepare the way for you. Don’t let me come between anyone and you and get in your way. Fill me with your Spirit of compassion and truth that will speak through me to prepare the way for you to show yourself to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment