Saturday, February 6, 2010

Does God Even Know I am Here?

A pretty common view of God today is that he put things in motion and then took a vacation. After all, how can he know everything that I think or do? And how can he keep track of a ‘kazillion’ people? No one can do that! I happen to be one who believes God can – and he doesn’t need the Internet to do so. He isn’t a human being like you and me made of flesh that has limitations. Who but God could make and then line up all of the elements to form a colorful delicate flower, a feather with the ability to warm or cool a bird, a human being with biochemical reactions that send information to the brain or stop bleeding of a wound or attack foreign matter such as bacteria and viruses, or combine the DNA of a mother and father and cause cells to divide and form organs, bones, nerves, eyes, fingers and toes of a new human being, or form a diamond, opal, or agate? If you burn each of these things down to ash, they have the same elements – carbon, calcium, iron, magnesium, etc. And if he can make us, I’m guessing he can keep track of us.

Luke begins this section of Scripture by saying, “Meanwhile, when a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that they were trampling on one another, Jesus began to speak first to his disciples…” Luke 12:1 I get a picture of a crowd pushing into each other trying to get closer to Jesus. It would have been a ‘sea’ of people. Yet Jesus focused first on his disciples. It wasn’t that he didn’t care about the crowds. I feel certain he did. But at this moment, his focus was on those who had chosen to follow him – not on the curiosity seekers or fair-weather friends.

I want to focus in on what he said to his followers in the midst of this mayhem. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.” Luke 12:1b-3 This sounds like a God who knows everything I have ever said or thought! I might do better to go ahead and confess and seek his forgiveness where it is needed.

“I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after than can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs on your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” Luke 12:4-7

Now since my hairs are falling out and growing in all the time, God needs to keep a pretty close watch on me to keep my hairs numbered. I think this is a pretty close and intimate God. I think Jesus is trying to give us a better perspective on God and move us from the physical to the spiritual knowledge of him. God is not bound by the physical environment we live in. Paul expresses this by saying, “Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” I Corinthians 13:12 Jesus is telling his followers that there is more to things than this life we live here on earth. He is also telling them (and us) that we have some responsibility for ourselves, what we think and do.

“I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.” Luke 12:8-10

I have spent many years being frightened by this Scripture. How do I know if I have blasphemed against the Holy Spirit? That is a pretty scary place to be! I first need to know what it means to blaspheme. It is not a word we use frequently today. Freedictionary.com gives these definitions: 1. To speak of (God or a sacred entity) in an irreverent, impious manner. 2. To revile; execrate.” The same word is sometimes translated as railing against or reviling or slandering, according to W. E. Vine in, “An Expository Dictionary.”

A heart that does not recognize God as holy cannot be saved because it does not recognize its own need to be saved. Until one recognizes their need to be saved, they cannot reach out for help.

I wonder if we have some language/interpretation issues here as well. Our English language is lacking in many ways. When we read the words “will not be forgiven,” we tend to think forever and always. However, I think in the way it is used here and knowing that God sent Jesus for the purpose of teaching us regarding his love for us and to provide a way for us to be forgiven and saved, it may actually mean that while a person is railing against God, he cannot be forgiven. But if a person at some point stops railing against God and recognizes God’s holiness and his own need to be saved, Jesus is there – filling the gap and offering salvation.

Does God know I am here? I’m convinced he does. Does he know what is in my mind and my heart? I’m sure of it. Does he care whether or not I get a parking space in a busy mall? All depends on whether I need the exercise or he needs me to get in there pronto to speak with someone he has placed there! J Am I a puppet? No – every day, every decision, I have choices to make. If I keep my eyes on God and listen for him speaking into my life, I hopefully make better decisions that are in line with what he is calling me to do. “When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.” Luke 12:11-12 This sounds like a God who definitely knows I am here! The question is, do I know he is here?

No comments:

Post a Comment