Sunday, February 28, 2010

Transitions

There is a dividing line in Scripture. We think it is between the Old and the New Testament. And it is. But Jesus draws the line very specifically at John the Baptist. “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it. It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.” Luke 16:16-18

I wonder what is meant by “everyone forcing his way into it”? And what is meant be “the least stroke of the pen to drop out of the Law”? I don’t think Jesus is ‘dissing’ the Law. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.” Matthew 5:17 But I wonder if he was addressing the way the Law was used and added to. There had been thousands of years of refining and defining the Law and the hearts were focused on following the Law to the letter rather than on the God who had given them the Law to guide their living. And in focusing on the Law rather than the Giver of the Law, grace and mercy were lost and judgment of others was rampant.

I wonder if the “forcing his way into it” was people trying to use the Law to get into God’s kingdom rather than accepting God’s grace. They were holding onto everything they had been taught tenaciously while trying to understand what Jesus was teaching and the ‘new wine’ was not going into the ‘old wine skins’ very well. (Matthew 9:17) Both John and Jesus were calling for radical changes in people’s lives. They were calling for a change of heart that didn’t do things because it was the Law but rather because they understood God’s mercy and grace and the expanse of his love for them and they now should extend that mercy and grace and love to others. John says, “The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same… Don’t collect more than you are required to…Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely…” Luke 3:11-14 Jesus says, “But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.” Luke 6:27

It seems that people were using the Law to excuse themselves from treating others with love rather than understanding God’s love and extending it to their friends, neighbors, and yes, even their enemies.

Jesus tells a story of a rich man and a beggar named Lazarus. Lazarus was covered with sores and was very hungry. He apparently couldn’t even walk as he was laid at the gate of the rich man. But the rich man ignored his needs. Then over time, both died, the beggar going to Abraham’s side and the rich man to hell. The tables have turned and the beggar is comforted and the rich man is in agony. Interestingly, the rich man still thinks of himself as better than the beggar and asks that the beggar come to him and serve him water. “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.” Luke 16:25 When he is told that it is not possible for Lazarus to come to him, he then begs that Lazarus be sent to his brothers and warn them so they will be spared the agony he is in. (He is still asking Lazarus to serve him.) To this Abraham replies, “They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.” Luke 16:29

It seems to me that Jesus is saying that you can find God’s heart in the Law that was given through Moses and if you listen to the Prophets you can learn how to follow the Law. Moses told us to love God and our neighbors and the Prophets told us to do this with justice and mercy, caring for the poor, the widows, the fatherless.

And Jesus came and showed us over and over God’s heart of compassion, mercy and grace as he related to people, healed the sick and even raised the dead. If I truly am living a life as a disciple of Jesus Christ, I cannot walk over or ignore the beggar at my gate, I cannot ignore the grieving widow, and I cannot look the other way when children are being hurt by abuse or neglect. Whatever blessings I have in this world are not meant for me alone – they are meant to bless others as well. I am simply a manager and my Lord will someday ask me to give an account.

Oh Lord, help me to be faithful – to use what you have given me to show compassion and love to others. Keep teaching me your heart and give me the courage to follow you.

No comments:

Post a Comment