Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Getting the Kingdom of God into Me

We can learn a lot from children and Jesus doesn’t miss the opportunity when it arises. An infant is totally at the mercy of others. A newborn baby can do nothing for itself. The only thing it can do is cry out for help when it is hungry, needs a diaper change, is cold, or hot. Parents normally know the needs of the child even before the child asks and they are right on it – total and utter dependence from the child and total and unconditional love from the parent.  

Jesus used that to teach about the kingdom of God. He said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” Luke 18:16-17 This calls for total and utter dependence on God – a trust that he is the Father full of unconditional love for us and that he knows what we need before we even ask.  

There was a certain ruler who was quite wealthy. He took good care of himself and didn’t have too many worries. There was one thing he didn’t have. So he asked Jesus, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Luke 18:18  

I wonder if this man was full of self-righteousness and did not recognize that he was talking with the Christ. Jesus always knew just what the person he was talking with needed. He started out by asking the ruler, “Why do you call me good? No one is good – except God alone.” Luke 18:19 I think Jesus may have been toying with the man a bit – pushing him to consider whether or not Jesus was indeed God. Maybe he was saying to the man, “You are having trouble accepting that I am the Christ, the Messiah. So you will call me good, but you can’t seem to call me God. Let’s fix that right up front.

Since the man is a ruler, it is obvious that he is more than a little familiar with the commandments. So Jesus tells him, “You know the commandments,” and lists a few of them. Luke 18:20 And of course the man responds that he has kept the commandments meticulously since he was very young. Then Jesus says an astounding thing. “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come follow me.” Luke 18:22

I wonder if Jesus is saying to him, “You are trying to get there on your own power and even if you are very, very good at keeping all the commandments, it won’t work. Here’s why. You are not willing to totally trust me and you can never achieve getting to heaven on your own. Only God is good. So here, I’ll give you one more thing to do and if you can do this, maybe you will make it.” And then he proceeds to give him something that is impossible for this man to do on his own – give away everything he has to the poor and follow Jesus.

Does this mean that we are all supposed to sell everything in order to follow Jesus? Is this the eleventh commandment? I don’t think so. But it would be wise for me to put everything I own under the control of Jesus recognizing that it is not mine but his and to be used for his purposes. If I really trust him, I must hold (receive and give) things with an open hand. He is the Master of the Universe and he can provide when I have need. I don’t need to hoard things to take care of myself.

The ruler turned away sadly because he was not willing to part with his wealth, power, and control in the community. He was not willing to give up his own security for eternal security. He was not willing to follow. Jesus then spoke to the others standing there watching, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God. Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Luke 18:24-25 The eye of the needle seems to be an expression for ‘impossible’. We need God’s help to enter his kingdom. We cannot get there on our own power.

Jesus doesn’t leave us feeling helpless but rather assures us, “What is impossible with men is possible with God.” Luke 18:27 And then he goes on to assure us that “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life.” Luke 18:29-30

You can’t beat God at giving! Not that it is a competition. There have been times when I have given up time or resources to help someone else and when it is all done, I believe I have been more blessed than the person I was trying to bless. Yes, there are rewards we can look forward to in heaven, but when we are willing to give up our ownership of everything here on earth and share freely with others, there are rewards here as well. The kingdom of God is here now as we share and care for each other. To begin with, there is a great reduction in stress when I don’t have to guard everything and count my inventory. There is also a great reduction in stress as I learn to trust that God has me covered.  

Looking forward to heaven is a good thing, but there is so much here and now that is part of God’s kingdom as well. I don’t want to miss that.The more I learn 'kingdom thinking' the more I will experience his kingdom on earth as it is in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment