Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lord Have Mercy on Me

Sometimes, I have to do something I really don’t want to do. I put it off as long as I can and allow distractions to take me other places rather than confront the thing I don’t want to do. But eventually, I have to face it and deal with it – whatever it is.

Jesus, however, set his face toward the cross and the whole way there, continued to heal and bless those he came in contact with. He did not allow himself to be consumed with anxiety, though we know he was very aware of what was coming. He tried many times to tell his disciples about it and they continued to not get it. Why was it so important to him that the disciples understand? Why did he continue to tell them in detail what was coming?

“We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled. He will be handed over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him, spit on him, flog him, and kill him. On the third day, he will rise again.” Luke 18:31-33 I wonder if there was still some uncertainty that he was the Messiah, the Christ, the King of the Jews. Or maybe there was much confusion among the Jews about the prophecies of the Messiah to come and Jesus was trying to help them sort through the ‘wrong’ conclusions many had come to over the years.

I can image the disciples saying, “Don’t talk like that! You are the Messiah and you’ve come to rescue us from the Romans. We’re right with you. Let’s go!” Luke tells us, “The disciples did not understand any of this. Its meaning was hidden from them, and they did not know what he was talking about.” Luke 18:34 I wonder how many times the meaning of something is hidden from me because my mind is someplace else, not because the information isn’t there and clear. And I wonder if Jesus always included the part about rising on the third day to give them something to hold on to and remember while he was separated from them by death.

On the way, Jesus passed by a beggar who was blind. When he was told that Jesus was passing by, “He called out, ‘Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!’ Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ Luke 18:38;40-41

I wonder why Jesus asked him that question. Wasn’t it obvious? He was blind! He wanted to be healed. Or maybe it wasn’t so obvious. What if the man was so used to begging for food and money that was all he wanted? I wonder if Jesus’ question to him was for the man to decide for himself what it was he really wanted. Dare he believe that Jesus could and would heal him? How many times do I ask God for small things because I don’t have enough courage to ask for what I really want? How many times do I ask for strength for today when he wants to heal for tomorrow and always?

“Lord, I want to see.” And Jesus responded, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” Luke 18:41-42 Many times over Jesus refers to the faith of the person who is healed. “Your faith has healed you.” These moments in Scripture cause me to ponder… Why are some healed and some not healed when we pray? Even as Jesus healed this man, he himself was heading for death on the cross. My earthly eyes see healing on one hand and death on the other. Why didn’t God spare Jesus the pain and suffering? My spiritual eyes see things a bit differently. We know it was part of his plan for salvation. He did it for us. If God would allow his only Son to go through this, why would I think I would be exempt from suffering if it was something God could use to his honor and glory?

“Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God.” Luke 18:43 In this case, there was healing and then there was rejoicing, praising, and following God. God was honored and glorified through this healing. Can God be honored and glorified through suffering as well? Jesus lived and died to God’s glory. If I am living my life to God’s glory, does it matter if I am blind or have sight? Does it matter if I am healthy and strong or if I have chronic pain and health issues?

I wonder if I have the courage to continue to care for others and bring God glory whether or not I am suffering. I am on a journey in this life that will lead to death unless Jesus returns before I get there. While I am on this journey, I need to keep my focus on God and steadfastly walk toward him. It does not matter so much what condition my earthly body is in as long as my soul is healthy. Along the way, I hope I will bring encouragement and healing to others and in doing so, glorify my Father in heaven. And if he chooses to heal me because that will bring him glory, I will rejoice. And if he chooses to allow me to suffer in this body, I will rejoice because that will bring him glory. Jesus kept his eyes on the third day. He knew he would rise again and conquer death forever. Maybe it wasn’t just for the disciples that he included the comment about rising on the third day. It may also be what sustained him through the suffering. In his mercy, God has given us the promise of eternity with him. I think I’ll keep my eyes on that – no matter where this journey on earth takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment