Saturday, May 1, 2010

Beauty Marred by Sin

In the spring, the trees are filled with new fresh green leaves. No bugs have chewed on them, no dust or dirt has accumulated on them. They are beautiful and unmarred. When I wonder about the creation of the world, I think it must have been like spring – all the fresh, new growth with no damage from insects, disease, too many hot days in a row, etc.

“God saw all that he had made and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning – the sixth day.” Genesis 1:31

Adam and Eve were created into this fresh, new environment. This new man and woman were unmarred. They were in the Garden of Eden which had been planted by God. It must have been amazing! They were given only one rule. “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.” Genesis 2:16-17 (Only one rule and they couldn’t keep it.)

As we watch Adam and Eve take the forbidden fruit and eat it, we can learn so much about ourselves and about God. Adam and Eve did not know anything about living in a sinful world. Their world was free from sin. God walked with them in the Garden and things were good. So we can get a pretty good look at what happens when sin comes.

First, there was a temptation. When there is a rule, there is a temptation to break the rule. Once a rule is established, the decision must be made whether to obey the rule or not obey the rule. How did Eve and then Adam get tangled up in their thinking and end up disobeying the one rule they had?

The serpent asked the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” Genesis 3:1 First he overstated the rule to make it sound absurd.

“The woman said to the serpent, ‘We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’” Genesis 3:2-3 Eve corrects the serpent’s overstatement. She obviously knows what God said.

But the serpent doesn’t leave it there. He takes what she knows to be true and twists it a bit causing Eve to doubt God. “’You will not surely die,’ the serpent said to the woman. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.’” Genesis 3:4-5 Now Eve has a decision to make. She loves who God is and thinks it would be wonderful to be just like him, knowing good and evil. Was God holding out on her? Was he keeping her from being that good so he could have more power than her? This slightly twisted adjustment to thinking made it possible for Eve to break the rule and invite her husband to join her.

The first thing that happened with their ‘open eyes’ was that they realized they were naked and they felt something new – shame. Then God showed up and they felt something else new – fear! They hid. But God didn’t say, “Oh well,” and leave. He called out to them, “Where are you?” Genesis 3:9 God still seeks us out today and calls to us, “Where are you?” “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20 From Genesis to Revelation, God is inviting us into relationship with him.

Adam and Eve, because of their shame and fear, tried to place the blame outside of themselves and the decisions they made. Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent. The list is growing… shame… fear… blaming. Then God responds by giving out consequences. To the serpent, “Cursed are you… You will crawl and eat dust… And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers…” Genesis 3:14-15 To the woman, “I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing… Your desire will be for your husband and he will rule over you.” Genesis 3:16 And to Adam, “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life… By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food… and to dust you will return.” Genesis 3:17-19

And then the Lord made garments for them out of animal skins (first animal sacrifice to atone the sin of man) and “banished them from the Garden of Eden,” Genesis 3:23 For the first time, they were separated from God. They had been deceived into thinking they would become like God and in the end, they had become sinful and were now separated from God.

I wonder if Eve could have that conversation again with the serpent if it would go differently. I wonder if I had been in her shoes if I would have decided differently. Then I look at how many decisions I make every day. And I wonder how many of them are based on twisted truth and/or misinformation. Suddenly, I realize how much I need God’s Spirit within me to be reminded of the real truth that I already know. God is good. He can be trusted. I don’t have to compete with him for knowledge. When I think I know better than God, I don’t; and following my own way will only lead to more troubles.

Following God’s rules leads to peace, trust, and good relationship with God. Not following them leads to consequences I would rather not face. Oh Father, burn your rules in my heart that every decision I make would bring honor and glory to you. Open my eyes to see your truth and keep me from being deceived.

No comments:

Post a Comment