Monday, May 10, 2010

God Intended it for Good

Joseph had big dreams. He shared them with his brothers and his father. They didn’t like his dreams. “We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it.” Genesis 37:7 And, “This time the sun and moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me.” Genesis 37:9

Okay, maybe some dreams are meant to be kept to ourselves. Sharing these particular dreams did not endear him to his brothers. In fact, they hated him. It didn’t help that their father doted on him and favored him above the others. The brothers found Joseph completely unbearable. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have liked him too much either. But that was immaturity. And God provided plenty of opportunity for Joseph to grow up.

Out of their anger and hatred, the brothers sold Joseph into slavery. Joseph must have become very responsible and organized because he moved right up the ranks to being in charge of his owner’s whole household. When Potiphar’s wife was turned down by Joseph (many times), she lied about him and that got him thrown into prison. He did nothing to deserve this, yet there he was – once again busted. “But while Joseph was there in the prison, the Lord was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden.” Genesis 39:20-21 Again, Joseph showed himself to be useful and soon was in charge of the prison.

From the prison, Joseph was able to interpret dreams – those of the cupbearer and of the baker and then of Pharaoh. Pharaoh was quite pleased with Joseph’s wisdom and put him in charge of all of Egypt, second only to Pharaoh himself. Joseph stored up grain for seven years and then dispersed it for the next seven years. When his brothers came to him for grain, he was able to care for them. Though he didn’t let them know who he was at first, he did on their second trip. And after toying with them a bit, he finally told them who he was. He was able to move his whole family down to Egypt to care for them during the famine.

I wonder… Did God put it in the mind of the brothers to sell Joseph to the traveling Ishmaelites? Or did God say, “This can work too.” What would have happened if Joseph had sported a bad attitude whining and refusing to work? What if Joseph had given in to Potiphar’s wife?

So many things could have turned out bad here. Yet we are told the Lord was with Joseph – even in his rough times. And when his brothers feared for their lives, Joseph said, “’You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.’ And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.” Genesis 50:20-21

I really don’t know whether God ‘orchestrated’ this whole thing or whether he kept taking bad things and because Joseph trusted him and worked with him, he made them turn out good. But I’m not sure I need to answer that question. It has been around for many generations and many books have been written on the topic. Yet, no one really has an answer. What I do find in this story of Joseph is that no matter what my circumstances, I can trust God and work with him. He will use it to his honor and glory and possibly the saving of many lives.

God has the big picture and I may never know in my lifetime why some things happen or how they are used for God’s good. But I don’t need to know that. What I need to know is that God is good and I can trust him. I have seen him take some of the hardest things in my life and use them for good purposes. Just as weather helps greenhouse plants become stronger, so life circumstances give me opportunity to become a better person with stronger faith.

“But now, this is what the Lord says – he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: ‘Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned: the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the holy One of Israel, your Savior.” Isaiah 43:1-3

The promise is not that we won’t have any hard times. Rather the promise is that God will be with us no matter what we go through. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

I am free to live without fear knowing that my God has the big picture and he is able to take anything I am willing to give him and use it to his honor and glory, whether that is difficult times or good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment