Thursday, June 10, 2010

Who is this Jesus?

Since the writers of the Gospels are focused on telling us about Jesus, I decided to ask the question, “Who is this Jesus?” as I was doing my fast read through Mark. There is no question that this is someone I want to know and have as a friend and mentor. So what makes him so attractive?

He is confident in his teaching and actions – not wishy-washy. I can count on him to be the same person tomorrow as he is today. “The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law. Mark 1:22

He draws his strength and focus from his relationship with God, the Father – not others, not the news, not his morning coffee. “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.” Mark 1:35 I wonder what would happen if we all started our day in this solitary place with God…

Jesus was filled with compassion. He couldn’t walk by someone in need without touching them, healing them, or blessing them. He was never too busy to show compassion. “A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, ‘If you are willing, you can make me clean.’ Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. ‘I am willing,’ he said. ‘Be clean!’ Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cured.” Mark 1:40-42

He was a healer, not just of physical diseases, but a healer of the body, the soul, the emotion – whatever part of themselves people brought to him for healing and more. When friends brought a paralytic to him for healing, he forgave the man’s sins. He also healed him physically, but Jesus knew the man needed more than that. (Mark 2:1-12)

Jesus was a wise teacher and mentor to those who followed him. Crowds gathered around him and several individuals followed him and sat under his teaching. He told parables to help the people understand and remember what he was teaching. And the disciples developed faith and leadership as he set up learning opportunities for them. (Mark 6:6-13)

Jesus was distressed at stubborn hearts when the religious leaders followed their own interpretations of the Law and hurt people rather than helping them. “He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts…” Mark 3:5

Jesus was full of power. He calmed a storm that had frightened the disciples who were used to the squalls that came up on the sea. “They were terrified and asked each other, ‘Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!’” Mark 4: 41 He was stopped only by lack of faith. “He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. And he was amazed at their lack of faith.” Mark 6:5-6

While he was teaching the crowds, he also satisfied their hunger. Mark 6:30-44 Jesus satisfies the hunger of souls as well as meeting the physical needs.

Jesus is God’s Son. Several of the disciples got a firsthand introduction on the mountain when Moses and Elijah showed up and God said (referring to Jesus), "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!" Mark 9:7

Jesus is our Savior, full of love, mercy and grace, a servant of all. He cares deeply about those society tends to trample (the poor, the fatherless, the widow) and has no tolerance for those who use their religion to take advantage of others. (Mark 11:12-20, Chapters 14-16)

Jesus could always see into the heart/motivation of people and prescribed just what the person needed to have peace with God. (Mark 10:17-22)

This Jesus is someone I want to be close to. I want his goodness to rub off on me – to challenge me and to put light on the areas of my life that need changing and to encourage me to be the person I can only be with his great influence in my life. As I let his love wash over me and consume me, I find that I have more love, compassion, mercy and grace for others. His wisdom is constantly available to me when I call out to him. My desire is to become more like Jesus, my Teacher, my Mentor, my Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment