Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It's Too Much

The more I study about Moses and his leading the Israelites out of Egypt, the more respect I have for him. It took some prodding from God and giving him his brother Aaron to help him get started (Exodus 4). It took his father-in-law’s wisdom to appoint officials to hear complaints from the people so Moses didn’t have to spend all day settling disputes (Exodus 18). But it was Moses who regularly talked with God and who, with God’s guidance and help, led the people who likely numbered near 2 million (600 thousand men age 20 and over, the Levites, plus women and children).

At first, the people were excited to be free from slavery in Egypt. But it wasn’t long before they began complaining about living conditions and lack of food and/or water. I can’t fathom leading 2 million people on a camping trip in the desert for a week, let alone 40 years. But here is Moses, being faithful to God, leading these people. It is no wonder to me that Moses is saying, “Why have you brought this trouble on your servant? What have I done to displease you that you put the burden of all these people on me? Did I conceive all these people? Did I give them birth? Why do you tell me to carry them in my arms, as a nurse carries an infant, to the land you promised on oath to their forefathers? Where can I get meat for all these people? They keep wailing to me, 'Give us meat to eat!' I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me. If this is how you are going to treat me, put me to death right now—if I have found favor in your eyes—and do not let me face my own ruin." Numbers 11:11-15

I wonder if I would have had the guts to even start out. Moses is thinking about giving up here. He is asking God to cut him loose from the burden he is carrying. Why doesn’t anyone see that it is a huge burden and step up to help him? The people begin to see Moses as the enemy rather than their leader and helper. It is a very painful place to be in leadership. There is much to be learned from how God and Moses handled the problems.

Moses, with God’s help, demonstrated great leadership by having set up an order to traveling and stopping. They were organized by tribes and each had a place to be when they stopped, arranged around the Tabernacle, and a place to be when they traveled, order in line. As they left in order, they opened a space for the Tabernacle and the Holy things as they moved them out. And as they settled, they moved in in order to make space for the Tabernacle and then enclose around it. It was like a chorus getting into place on the risers on stage and leaving in order when they have completed their program. Only this is about 2 million people rather than 40-50.

Even with this all in place and working, the people get hot, tired, hungry, thirsty and testy. And they think Moses should fix it. And so Moses cries to God, “The burden is too heavy for me.” Numbers 11:14 Since the people did not come forth to help Moses on their own, God tells Moses, “Bring me seventy of Israel's elders who are known to you as leaders and officials among the people. Have them come to the Tent of Meeting, that they may stand there with you. I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take of the Spirit that is on you and put the Spirit on them. They will help you carry the burden of the people so that you will not have to carry it alone.” Numbers 11:16-17

Now we have middle management and the people have someone else to wail at besides Moses. And then God says, “Okay, I’ll provide meat for you all. In fact, I’ll provide so much you’ll get sick of it!” (Numbers 11:18-20)

Rather than saying, “Thank you. Now there will be some peace again for a few days,” Moses says, “Where is all the meat going to come from? How can we feed this many people meat every day?” (Numbers 11:21-22)

“The Lord answered Moses, ‘Is the Lord’s arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you.’” Numbers 11:23 And God did provide enough quail for all to eat and be filled.

This is not only a story of God providing meat for the Israelites in the desert. It is a story of a leader who is burned out. It is easy to be confident in our leadership when people are following and everything is going well. But when people bulk, complain, or in this case wail, it is a different story. Suddenly, our world falls apart and we want out. It was not only the people not trusting God for provision, it was Moses not trusting God to get him through this. Not that I blame Moses in any way for his reaction at that point. It was a very human response. But I can learn from him and from how God dealt with it, that God can be trusted. His arm is not too short. He can deal with the worst of circumstances and get us through it. And so, regarding my ability to trust God to take care of things, I say with the man in the New Testament who asked Jesus for healing for his son, “Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief.” Mark 9:24

I’m so glad these rough times have been documented in the Bible as well as the good times. It gives me hope and builds my trust in a God who can reach down into any situation I find myself in and give me just what I need to not only get through that day, but to thrive – to become stronger and better for having gone through it. I hope the next time I find myself burning out I can reach up to God and trust him to get me through rather than complaining and wailing about the burden being too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment