Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Treasure in Heaven

The Bible is the most amazing Book of Wisdom. It continues to be relevant thousands of years after it was written. Each circumstance in our lives makes us more sensitive to specific pieces of wisdom. I love reading it over and over because each time I read it, it has something different or more poignant for me to absorb.

Since our son left this earth sooner than we expected (though assuredly in God’s timing), verses concerning heaven and eternity jump off the pages. Psalms of distress and sorrow read differently. Today is a ‘sorting, packing and giving’ day. I will be going through household items, boxing them and preparing them to go to an organization that helps refugees get resettled. As I hold and bless and give these things to others, they are filled with sweet memories of time spent together here on this earth.

This morning, I read about the Rich Young Man who came to Jesus asking about inheriting eternal life. When Jesus spoke to him about keeping the commandments, the young man responded that he had kept them meticulously since he was a boy. I wonder, was he trying to get Jesus to say, “Good job! You’re in!” and expecting a pat on the back? Or was he really wanting to gain more wisdom?

Jesus response then was, “One thing you lack. Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” Mark 10:21

In a nation where the prosperity gospel is regularly preached, it is easy to interpret the ‘treasure in heaven’ as all the things we think we need and wish for on this earth – a bigger TV, a new car, gold, silver, diamonds, a big house that is self-cleaning, etc. But today, as I sort through Andrew’s things that were useful on this earth and pass them on to other people who can use them, it occurs to me that I have a treasure in heaven and it is not gold or silver or diamonds or things. It is my son. And it is my grandmother, my grandfather, and my friends who have gone before me. Those relationships don’t die – those people are among the “cloud of witnesses” cheering us on and ready for us to join them when our time on this earth is finished. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

More than ever, things have become just that – things. While they serve us here on this earth, they do not have eternal value. Only what we do with those things has eternal value. Do we use the things we have been blessed with to love and serve others, or do we hoard and accumulate until they suffocate us? Andrew was good at holding his belongings with ‘open hands.’ He was blessed with a car – he was quick to give rides to those who needed them. He was blessed with food – he was quick to invite friends and neighbors to eat with him. He was blessed with health and energy – he was quick to serve others in whatever way he could. He sought God's forgiveness if he hesitated even for a moment. Those people and acts of kindness are the eternal treasures stored up in heaven. Each person he served was someone loved by Jesus and hopefully, many of them will someday be with Andrew in eternity saying, “Thanks for your kindness. You helped me find hope when I had none. You helped me find Jesus.”

Lord, give me wisdom as I sort through things today. Help me to enjoy the memories and then pass on the blessings to others who have need of them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment