Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Give Thanks to the Lord, for His Love Endures Forever

Jehoshaphat was one of the ‘good’ kings of Judah. It wasn’t that he didn’t make any mistakes… he did. But he sought after the Lord and he sent out his leadership, priests and Levites into the towns to teach the people from the Book of the Law. Through this, the people’s hearts were turned back to God and the kingdom prospered under Jehoshaphat’s leadership.

Then trouble came. “Some men came and told Jehoshaphat, ‘A vast army is coming against you from Edom, from the other side of the Sea…’ Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord, and he proclaimed a fast for all Judah. The people of Judah came together to seek help from the Lord; indeed, they came from every town in Judah to seek him.” II Chronicles 20:2-4

Jehoshaphat stood up and prayed to God. In his prayer, he proclaims God’s power and might saying, “no one can withstand you.” II Chronicles 20:6 He reminds God how he lead his people into this land and that they “have built in it a sanctuary for your Name, saying, ‘If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.’” II Chronicles 20:9 Jehoshaphat then tells the Lord about the vast army on their doorstep and asks, “O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.” II Chronicles 20:12

I wonder how many times I look at things in my life as Jehoshaphat looked at that vast army. I feel helpless, unable to fight, knowing there is no way I can win. Jehoshaphat shows us how to be prepared for those times in our life.

1. Prepare by studying God’s Word. Know my history with God. Recount how he has led in the past.

2. Focus on my alignment with God through the covenant he has made with me when I chose to follow him. Remember his promises and believe them.

3. Call on God for help. Humble myself before the Lord and acknowledge my weakness and my need for his help.

Everyone was there standing before the Lord. And then the Lord spoke to them through a Levite named Jahaziel. “This is what the Lord says: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s.’… You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you… Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you.” II Chronicles 20:15-17

At that point, Jehoshaphat led the people in a praise and worship service. He “appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying: ‘Give thanks to the Lord, for his love endures forever.’” II Chronicles 20:21

Jehoshaphat did not wait until the battle was won to thank the Lord. He began immediately. The army was led out with singing praises. And when they got to the place God had told them to go, what they found were dead bodies. The battle had already been won!

I wonder if sometimes I lock myself into my timeline of events and circumstances and miss the heavenly perspective of the battle being already won. In my journey of deep pain this year, I have discovered that when the vast army of the pit of depression rises against me, I need to focus on the Lord and worship him. When my eyes are on him, I gain more of an eternal perspective on things. The battle is won. I just need to claim the victory! I look at what I have to be thankful for, and my heart sings, “Give thanks to the Lord, for his love endures forever.” II Chronicles 20:21

No comments:

Post a Comment