Tuesday, February 21, 2012

God Knows Our Weakness

God led the Israelites out of Egypt. After 400 years, they had begun to take on a lot of things that were not part of who God had set them apart to be. They spent 40 years in the wilderness while God worked at getting the ‘Egypt’ out of them. Throughout the Old Testament, we can still see that often when things began to go bad for them, they ‘returned’ to Egypt. They made agreements with Egypt to protect them. They got horses and chariots from Egypt. God tried over and over to convince them that He was enough – they could trust Him. But each generation had to rediscover that for themselves.

Jesus said, “If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.” Matthew 18:8 He was telling us to get rid of anything in our lives that leads us away from God. And Paul said, “Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.” Romans 13:14

I wonder how many things I have in my life that continue to lead me away from God instead of toward God. It is easy to see the bolder things like books, movies, and activities that are anything but godly. But what about the many activities that are ‘good’ things. I can take an inventory of my day for seven days in a row and begin to see that I am very busy doing a lot of good things. When I get so busy doing good things that I don’t have time to meet with God, to pray and meditate on His Word, to meet with and encourage other believers – activities that grow my faith and trust in God – do those ‘good things’ become some of the things I need to get rid of?

And I wonder where I turn when I need help… In who or what do I put my trust? When I need to be comforted, where do I go? Some of us eat more, shop more, exercise more, work more, when we are looking for comfort. What is the ‘Egypt’ in my life that I run to whenever I am scared or uncomfortable? Whatever that is, I need to get rid of it or flee from it. That is what keeps me from experiencing God’s caring for me, His mercy and grace for me.

Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 Peter said, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” I Peter 5:7

“Were can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?” Psalm 139:7 There is nowhere in this world or universe that God is absent from. No matter where I am, God is there for me. He is the one in whom I can put my trust. He is ready and able to help me. I just need to get rid of all other places I turn for help and go straight to Him. He can be trusted. I need only look back a short distance in my life to see what He has done for me. As I remember those things, I see that He really can be trusted. When I center my trust in Him, I can experience His peace and His strength in my life. My weakness becomes a vessel to demonstrate His strength and glory.

Holy Father, I am so grateful that You are always here for me – that I can trust You. I choose to keep my eyes on You today and pray that Your strength will sustain me, Your wisdom will guide me, and Your love will comfort me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment