Monday, February 13, 2012

The Power of NOT Prayer

From the memorized prayers of a toddler to the sung prayers of a singing family, prayer has always been a part of my life. Yet even though I cannot remember ever not praying throughout a day, there have been times when I was not so sure the prayers were going anywhere in particular.

Today as I was praying through my prayer journal, I began to wonder if my praying was important to anyone. Does it really make a difference in someone else’s life if I pray or if I don’t pray? And it suddenly hit me – If I believe in the power of prayer, how much do I pray and intercede for others and my family and myself? If I am NOT praying, what is God NOT doing because I lack faith? Do I take prayer seriously? Or is it just a few mumbled words here and there, before a meal, before I go to bed?

What could God be doing if I spent more time praying? Would it unleash power in my life and in the lives of those for whom I pray? What would that power look like?

The Amalekites attacked the Israelites. Moses told Joshua to take some men and go fight them. He said he would take the staff of God and stand on top of the hill. Aaron and Hur went with Moses. “As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up – one on one side, one on the other – so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalkite army with the sword.” Exodus 17:11-12

The battle and the lives of the Israelites were at stake. But Moses grew weary. Because he wasn’t alone, he had help. Aaron and Hur could have said, “Go, Moses, Go! Keep those arms up. Joshua is depending on you.” But instead, they came along side of Moses, one on each side. They gave him a rock to sit on and then held up his arms.

To me, this is a wonderful picture of prayer. Prayer is not a ‘wasted’ activity nor an exercise void of power. Sometimes we cannot see as clearly as Moses did, but we hear people’s stories. It is a blessing to hear something like, “I almost gave up, but then I felt this surge of power in my life and I got back on track,” when I know I was praying for them to get ‘back on track’.

Prayer is not just a Christmas list (desires) or grocery list (daily needs). It is a time of aligning my thoughts and my life with what God is doing – a time of seeking His wisdom and instruction – a time of interceding for others who are struggling in this life. Sometimes I do it on my own. Sometimes I need an ‘Aaron’ or ‘Hur’ in my life to hold up my arms while I intercede for others. Sometimes, I need to be an ‘Aaron’ or ‘Hur’ and hold up someone else’s arms while they intercede for another.

While I am interceding, I am also watching for answers. They don’t always come when we expect them or the way we expect them. But they do come. If I am so sure of that, am I also sure that if I don’t take the time to pray, someone is losing a battle. If prayer makes a difference, then NOT prayer also makes a difference. So if you’ll excuse me now, I have some praying and interceding to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment