Wednesday, March 4, 2020

The Valley of Trouble


It is just a little white lie or letting a little information out so I can look good. It is just a pen from a co-worker’s desk. No big deal. Right? 

God gave very specific directions about what was to happen with the people and plunder from Jericho. All the gold, silver, bronze, and iron were to be taken to the Lord’s treasury. All the people except Rahab and her family who were with her were to be destroyed along with all the cattle, sheep and goats. They were to take nothing at the risk of bringing trouble on Israel. 

But one man was overcome with greed and took several items and buried them under his tent. He couldn’t even enjoy them because he had to keep them hidden. And because of that one man’s sin, 35 men died in the next battle. It had all seemed okay at the time. Nothing happened as he took the robe, the gold, the silver for himself. It all seemed to not have consequences even though God had specifically said not to take things for themselves. But then the next battle came as Israel was claiming the Promised Land. And they were soundly beaten. God had removed His protection and His favor. All of Israel suffered because of this one man’s sin. 

Joshua went to the Lord and asked what happened? Why had God let them lose this battle? What was going to happen to the great name of the Lord who was leading Israel into the Promised Land? Were they all going to die at the hands of the Canaanites after all the grand things the Lord had done for them up to this point? The Lord replied that they had broken His covenant by stealing and lying. And because of this, He would no longer remain with them unless they destroyed the things among them that were set apart for destruction. 

And so, tribe by tribe, clan by clan, family by family, they sorted down to the man who took the treasures from Jericho. And he and his family and all his belongings, including what he had stolen, his cattle, sheep and goats, and even his tent, were destroyed in the Valley of Achor which was now called the Valley of Trouble.

God is a Holy God. His presence cannot go with us if we continue to live in sin. David understood this when he prayed, “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139:23-24 David did not want anything to come between him and God. He wanted to bless God and be blessed by God – to dwell in the presence of God. He knew that God was his source of strength when he went to battle. He couldn't do it without God's presence with him.

God is serious about my redemption. Am I? He sent Jesus to die for my sins. I don’t need to be buried in the Valley of Trouble when I fail. Am I willing to pray with David, “Search me, God?” Am I willing to let God examine me and show me where I have sinned and need forgiveness? Am I willing to confess what He shows me? He is willing to cleanse me and heal me. His desire is for me to walk in His promises and live under His blessings. But I cannot be there if I am holding onto any sins – little or big!

O God, search me and know my heart. See if there is any sin in me and bring it to my attention so I can deal with it at the cross. My desire is to walk in Your presence all the days of my life and reflect Your glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment