Friday, August 7, 2009

In the Name of Jesus

“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17

I memorized this verse years ago and it is one that I read over quickly and easily because of familiarity. But today, something jumped out at me. What does it really mean, ‘in the name of the Lord Jesus’?

There have been times in my life when I have been asked to ‘ghost write’ a letter for my boss. When it is done, my boss looks over it and signs it with his/her name. I wrote that letter ‘in the name of’ my boss. It carries their authority and represents what they think on the particular matter at hand.

When I do ‘all in the name of the Lord Jesus,’ I am representing what Jesus thinks and doing it with his authority. Yikes! This is a huge responsibility. Do I represent Jesus well when I am in a checkout line? Do I represent Jesus well when I am driving in heavy traffic? (Who will know? I’m in my car…) Do I represent Jesus well when I am in a political conversation with a co-worker? Do I represent Jesus well when I pull out my credit card or checkbook or cash? Do I represent Jesus well when I interact with my family members, especially my spouse?

Wait a minute, God. You’re getting pretty personal here! Isn’t there any area of my life I can represent me? What was that? Something about dying to myself and living for you? Oh, yeah! I did say I would do that didn’t I? Well, obviously I’m going to need some help. I’m still learning to let go of the old me. Thanks for your patience and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment