Monday, August 17, 2009

The Significance of Turning Water into Wine

‘Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”’ John 2:7-10

A couple of questions come to mind here…

1. How did Jesus’ mother know he could do anything about the problem with running out of wine?

2. Why did Jesus involve the servants?

3. Why did Jesus’ turn the water into great wine, not just the same as the rest of the wine had been?

Jesus’ mother knew he was the Messiah. She knew he was God’s Son. She knew nothing was impossible for him. Though Jesus’ told her his time had not yet come, she couldn’t watch the families of the bride and groom be embarrassed by running out of wine when she knew he could do something. She put the servants on alert for whatever he chose to do.

Several Scriptures refer to Jesus being with God before the creation of the world: Acts 2:15 “You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead.” John 17:24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.”, Colossians 1:15-18 “the firstborn over all creation”, Revelations 4:11 “… for you created all thing”. If we can accept that The Trinity has always existed – God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit – Jesus was part of creating the earth and all that is in it, the heavens, the planets, the stars. So creating was nothing new to Jesus. He could have made the wine without the servants putting water in the jars. But this was not a ‘magic’ show. He could have made the wine extend without anyone knowing he did it. But he involved the servants. He had them put water in the jars. This was an act of expectation and faith – something was going to happen.

Jesus’ disciples were there at the feast as well and probably were nearby watching. John 2:11 says, “This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.” Jesus didn’t do it unnoticed because it was time for his disciples to see he was not just another rabbi wandering through. There was something special about him. He was showing he was God (I and the Father are one) through his creation.

Not only did Jesus turn the water into wine, he turned it into great wine. Just as when God created the earth, everything was ‘good’. Jesus was showing his perfection and awesome power in creating the wine. It was good!

Thank you, Father, for your awesome creation! Thank you that it is not just okay, but it is good! Thank you for showing us that Jesus was always with you and together you are one. I’ll never truly understand the Trinity on this side of heaven, but I believe it is so. Thank you for loving me enough to send Jesus and that just as he was with you during the creation of the world, he was dying for me as well so that I have this opportunity to be with you, to talk with you and listen to what you have to say to me. Today, help me to live my life to bring glory and honor to you. Help me to not live for myself, but to live for you, sharing your love and goodness with everyone I come in contact with. I love you Lord, and long to stay in your presence throughout the day. You are an awesome God! I praise you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment