Sunday, June 26, 2011

Comfort Enough to Share

Just when I think I got this ‘love others as yourself’ thing down and think I am over being self-centered, God gently points out not one, but two things in my life I am being selfish with – in one morning devotional time!

In one of the devotional books I am using, Bill Klees asks the question, when we worship, are we thinking about how much we enjoy the song, the voices of others in the group, etc. or are we thinking about God and how he is worthy of our praise and thinking about what Jesus did for us and how undeserving we are but how grateful we are that he was willing to die for us? I hate it, but I have to admit that only some of the time I think about how awesome God is and how humbled I am by his great love and desire for relationship with me – in spite of how undeserving I am! More often I think, “Oh, I really like this song.” Or, “I haven’t heard this one before – it’s not as fulfilling to sing different songs I’m not familiar with.” Or, “Wow, the congregation sounds good this morning!”

And even as I am rethinking my worship, I begin to read II Corinthians. And Paul starts right out talking about comfort. “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we have received from God.” II Corinthians 1:3-4

In my pain and suffering, I gladly receive the comfort of God, but quite frankly, I thought it was for me. But Paul clearly says it is also for the purpose of comforting others. Being a true introvert, I want to stay away from the questions and fears of others as I deal with my pain. I want to retreat to my own quiet place and ponder things. But God doesn’t mean for us to keep his comfort to ourselves. Paul goes on to say, “…just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.” II Corinthians 1:7b As others express their sadness at out loss, sharing in our sufferings, I have opportunity to share God’s comfort with them. As others join us in praying for this comfort, they need the opportunity to rejoice in the answers to prayer as we receive comfort. “Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.” II Corinthians 1:11b

When Jesus walked on this earth, people took mourning and grieving each other’s losses seriously. They would gather and weep and wail together for several days. Today, we are expected to use our 2-3 days of leave from work, get over it and get back to work and not talk about it as it makes others uncomfortable. Yet, I find in God’s family great support when I am willing to share my pain. And I realize that the greatest comfort comes from those who have gone before me through the grief and pain of losing someone close to them. I realize also that this journey doesn’t end on this side of heaven. Whether it is 3 months, 3 years, or 30 years, people continue on this journey. But neither does the comfort end. And now, it is my turn to comfort those who share in my suffering and also those who come behind me entering this journey for the first time.

It is also an opportunity to quell the fears of those who wonder if they will ever have to travel this road. I can assure them that we have a God we can trust, who delivers the comfort we need when we need it – enough to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment