Thursday, December 17, 2009

Getting Close to the One I Love

Even before I was married, people who knew me well would say that I didn’t function quite as well when the one I loved was out of town for a few days. There was something about being near the one I loved that put more power and focus in my life. I had a stronger sense of well being. I am still that way and don’t do as well when we are separated. I see this also when people who have been married for a long time lose a spouse. They seem lost – like part of them is missing. And it is.

“He went down with them and stood on a level place. A large crowd of his disciples was there and a great number of people from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the coast of Tyre and Sidon, who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. Those troubled by evil spirits were cured, and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.” Luke 6:17-19 Just to get close enough to touch him and be healed – that was all most of them wanted. They came by foot from great distances because they had heard that he was filled with power to heal.

I wonder with many around me not does God have power to heal, but does he still choose to heal? I believe he has the power to heal – he always has and he always will. But why are there so many people with chronic illness and cancer. Why are they suffering when Jesus has the power to heal? Then I read a book written by a man who was healed from leukemia and a burst appendix while his blood count was too low to fight it or to operate. Only a miracle could have saved him. And I hear of another friend who has walked out of the hospital after a stroke stronger on the affected side than before the stroke and without rehab. An angel came to his bedside and spoke to him and he was healed. Yes, God does still heal in miraculous ways.

When I hear these stories, I want to know and experience this God of healing more. I want to get close to him and to touch him. The downside of experiencing God’s healing is that one cannot experience healing if one does not suffer. And I surely do not want to suffer!

“Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.” Luke 6:20 If I have nothing, I can learn to depend on God and experience his greatness in my life. Having too much makes me forget I need God.

“Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.” Luke 6:21a If I experience hunger, I will appreciate being filled – whether it is physical or spiritual hunger. Food tastes so much better when I am hungry. God speaks so much more clearly in my life when I am hungering and thirsting for him.

“Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.” Luke 6:22b Emotion is a funny thing. If you cannot experience sadness, you cannot experience joy. Jesus himself had tears and laughter when he walked on this earth. Laughter feels even better when it follows a time of sadness. How sweet it is when I thought I would never laugh again and I suddenly find myself laughing.

“Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.” Luke 6:22-23 When I am living in such a way as to win God’s favor, I will be shunned by the world. That’s the way it has always been and always will be. Keeping my eyes on Jesus and looking forward to heaven will help me through those difficult times.

“But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort. Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep. Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.” Luke 6:24-26 Whoa! Is Jesus saying that we are not to have any comfort or be happy in this world? The Contemporary English Version of the Bible says, “You are in for trouble…” The word ‘woe’ seems to be a warning of a coming judgment if there is no change.

When I put this in the context of the whole Bible, I see God always being concerned with justice, caring for the poor, giving out of what we have so that others do not need to suffer. I think the warning is that if we are comfortable and happy with what we have so we don’t seek after God’s heart, we will miss the unspeakable wealth and glory of eternity with Jesus. The more we have in this world, the less we ‘need’ God and others. We think we have it all together and we are doing a good job providing for ourselves. When that happens, we are in danger of missing what God has for us.

Oh Holy God, please don’t let me be too comfortable with what I have, but rather keep my heart seeking after you because I know that true wealth and joy come only from you. All that I have in this world comes from you. Open my eyes to see how to use it to bless others and to bring glory and honor to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment