Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Lord of All

Sometimes I wonder how much sleep Jesus actually got. He often prayed all night or got up early in the morning to go pray. He ministered to people long hours, through mealtimes, wherever he was. We get a glimpse of Jesus sleeping – in the boat while they were traveling to the other side of the lake. And even then, a huge storm came up swamping the boat and endangering their lives. He must have been exhausted because the disciples had to wake him up to get his help. “He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. ‘Where is your faith?’ he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement, they asked one another, ‘Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.’” Luke 8:24b-25

They knew Jesus was not an ordinary man. But this left them dumbfounded. Who can control the wind and the rain? Only God can. Is this really God? Did he put on human flesh and come down and walk with us? I imagine their emotion was a mix of amazement, fear and curiosity. What did Jesus mean by “Where is your faith?” Did he expect them to sleep through the storm like he did? Didn’t someone need to man the ship? A boat doesn’t row itself across the lake.

I wonder how many times during the storms in my life I cry out to God to save me. I wonder if he is sleeping in my boat while I’m about to drown. Where are you God? I’m about to go under here. Save me! And then he asks me, “Where is your faith?” Faith that is not tested is no faith at all. Faith becomes stronger when tested by the storms in our lives. In fact, if we have no storms in our lives, we have little faith because it cannot grow in that environment. When a storm arises in my life, do I trust that God can end the storm at any time and that he has my best interest at heart? Sometimes, God lets the storm rage a while in order to strengthen me. Sometimes, he invites me to sleep with him in the boat while the storm is raging. And sometimes he stops the storm and allows me to enjoy the calm.

While the disciples are still shaking their heads in amazement, they arrive at the other side of the lake and meet a man who has been in a raging storm for most of his life. He is possessed by many demons, naked and dwelling in solitary places. Today we would put him in a locked down unit in a state hospital. When Jesus arrives, the man shouts, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don’t torture me!” Luke 8:28. I wonder how the man knew who Jesus was? Did he think Jesus had come to harm him? Or was it the demons speaking. “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.” James 2:19 It seems that the demons in this man recognized Jesus as the Son of God and were shuddering. And rightfully so, because Jesus did cast the demons out of the man. When the townspeople arrived, he was clothed and in his right mind, sitting at Jesus feet.

Something interesting happened in the interchange between the demons and Jesus. The demons asked to be allowed to go into the herd of pigs when they left the man. And Jesus allowed them to. The pigs ran down the bank into the lake and drowned. I wonder what the people who owned the pigs thought. Today, there would be a major law suit! Yet, how could you prove that it was Jesus’ fault that the pigs drowned themselves?

And then there is the question as to whether or not demons still exist in the world today. We have diagnoses for people who are not in their right mind and/or have seizures. We treat them with medications and often they are able to function normally or at least close to normal. Yet, in the New Testament, there are many instances where Jesus and/or his disciples cast out many demons. And there are references to demons in discussions of the last days. “The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.” I Timothy 4:1 “The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk.” Revelation 9:20 “They are spirits of demons performing miraculous signs, and they go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them for the battle on the great day of God Almighty.” Revelation 16:4 “With a mighty voice he shouted: "Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great! She has become a home for demons and a haunt for every evil spirit, a haunt for every unclean and detestable bird.” Revelation 18:2 This sounds like there is and will continue to be demon activity in our world.

While we need to not be too quick to blame every bad thing that happens to us on demons, we would do well not to ignore their presence. Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” I John 4:1 We live in an age when we only believe what we can see, touch, and smell. Yet, there are battles raging between good and evil. “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesians 6:12 We know that the victory has already been won by Jesus’ death on the cross. And Satan knows his time is limited. “Therefore rejoice, you heavens and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has gone down to you! He is filled with fury, because he knows that his time is short.” Revelation 12:12

I don’t think I need to run scared looking for demons behind every bush, but I do need to be aware and walk closely with my Lord who is Lord of all. He will help me test the spirits so that I can listen only to the good and not the evil. And then I can along with the man released from the control of demons do as Jesus asked him to, “Return home and tell how much God has done for you.” Luke 8:39 I can recognize how much God loves me and what he has done for me and tell others that my Lord is Lord of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment