Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Am the Lord Their God

“They will know that I am the Lord their God, who brought them out of Egypt so that I might dwell among them. I am the Lord their God.” Exodus 29:46

Moses spent 40 days and 40 nights with the Lord on the mountain. Following that time, he taught the Israelites what God had told him. The Ten Commandments teach us how to live in relationship with God and with each other. The building of the Tabernacle teaches us about our Holy God who is to be honored and respected and praised. It also teaches us about the Christ who was to come. It teaches us about the Mercy Seat, where we can go for confession, forgiveness, and healing and wisdom.

I wonder about the sacrifices of bulls, lambs, goats, doves, grain and wine. What is the significance of these specific animals and foods to be used for burnt offerings? What is the significance of blood on the horns of the altar? It all seems like such a foreign concept to me.

I wonder if the significance of these things was clear to the Israelites at the time or if they were just being obedient to what Moses was telling them God told them to do. As I think about this tribal culture that was dwelling in tents, it occurs to me that when they went to Egypt, they were shepherds. They were given a specific area to settle with their flocks and herds. Staying in Egypt had likely changed them a lot because of the different things available to them there – more luxurious life. As they came out of Egypt, they were once again returning to their tents and herding of animals. Therefore, these animals and the grain and wine would have been their sustenance. It would have been the sign of their wealth. Is it possible God was asking for these specific animals, grain and wine because he was helping them to let go of their trust in what they thought their provision was and to trust him to provide for them?

And I wonder what it is that God would have me bring as a sacrifice to him. What is it in my life that would cause me to place my trust in other places and not in the Lord my God? What is it in my life that would distract me from worshipping the Lord of my life?

Because I am on a journey of grief, I find myself very vulnerable and exposed. What is it God wants me to put on this altar? Is it my ideas and dreams of what the future should hold? Is it my confidence in other human beings to meet my physical and emotional needs? Is it the busy schedules in my life that distract me from worshipping my Lord? Is it my fear of handing these things to God because of my uncertainty of what he will do with them?

When I bring all of these things to the altar, I am released from the hold they have on me. It is just me and God now. My trust is in God alone. God brings me out of my ‘Egypt’ so that I will know that he is God. The amazing thing is that this Holy God wants to dwell among us! His desire is for us to be in relationship with him. My desire is to praise him and live my life in a way that honors and glorifies him. When I finally put on the altar all the things that hinder me, I am free to move forward with God and able to hear his wisdom and plans for me. While there are still some things to do on this earth, his ultimate plan for me is to dwell with him.

“I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’” Revelation 21:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment