Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Great Finale

Who is this Jesus? The crowds continue to press him. “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?” John 8:48 And Jesus keeps talking about his relationship with his Father whom they claim to know as God. And he keeps throwing in little things that confuse them even more like, “I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” John 8:51

Now they know he is crazy. Everyone dies. Even Abraham and the prophets died and they were pretty good guys who claimed to know what God was saying to them. Jesus responds, “Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.” John 8:56 This confirmed it for them. Jesus was indeed out of his mind – a few bricks short of a load. He was standing there talking with them and claiming to have personal knowledge of Abraham. “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” John 8:58

Judging by their response (they began to pick up stones to stone him) they were convinced he was crazy and blaspheming and they were going to get rid of him. Once again, Jesus slips away unharmed – his time had not yet come.

And once again I find myself wondering if I had been in that crowd, how I would have responded to Jesus. Would I have believed he truly was the Son of God or would I have been one of them picking up stones because he was just not believable to me?

It seems that the difference between those who believed and those who didn’t was all about the heart and soul. Those stuck in the physical here and now could not grasp the truth that was standing in front of them. Those who listened to their hearts could respond. This truth seems to cut deep. People didn’t just laugh and walk away. They responded with huge emotion – great anger and even hate.

In the end, it is the biggest question any of us will ever have to answer. It is the great finale to life. Do we believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God or not? Our eternity rides on our answer to this question. Some spend a whole life pondering it but refusing to answer it. Some run from it their whole lives only to come face to face with it on their death bed. Some answer it earlier in their lives and spend their lives seeking to know him more.

The reason Jesus came in the first place was to reconcile the human race with God – to teach us who God is and what he wants from us. That God the Creator with all Wisdom, Power, and Authority would humble himself to get our attention and give us the option to be his children and spend eternity with him is an amazing thought to me. And as I walk with him and learn from him, it wonders me that people aren’t running in droves to sit at his feet and learn from him. There is no love so complete as his love for me. There is no mercy or grace so compassionate as his for me. There is no wisdom that can compare. I am humbled and grateful that he cared enough to walk on this earth and reach out to me so that I wouldn’t miss eternity with him.

Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment