Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It Hurts!

My father has an orchard and a few grapevines and berry bushes. Every winter or early spring, he faithfully prunes the trees and vines. He knows that if he doesn’t, the trees and vines won’t be as productive. When he begins to prune he doesn’t just start whacking at branches randomly, but rather he just stands and looks at the tree or vine for a bit, he thinks about what the tree or vine needs to be more productive, and then he begins pruning. Careful and thoughtful pruning does a number of things.

· It gets rid of dead wood.

· It stimulates growth.

· It allows light to get to the whole tree.

· It allows the tree or bush to concentrate on fruit bearing instead of sustaining more leaves.

· It keeps the tree manageable and useful.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” John 15:1-4

Jesus has spent three years with his disciples. He has been teaching them and ‘pruning’ them as they went along. He has gotten rid of the dead wood – the things in their lives that kept them from understanding the love of the Father. He has taught them and shown them who the Father is and the relationship he wants with them. He has gotten them ‘cleaned up’. Now he is about to leave them and he wants to make sure they get and remember the most important things he has been teaching them. But what is the nourishment they receive from the vine? What is this fruit he wants them to bear?

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.” John 15:9 People can do amazing things when they know they are loved. Children on a soccer field or basketball court or football field will look for their parents on the sidelines. They are strengthened by that relationship with their parents. If their parents think they can do it, well just maybe than can! They make eye contact and then turn and go for the big play. Yes, knowing we are loved carries us a long way. It is the sap that nourishes us.

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” John 15:7-8 If the disciples remember what they have been taught, all they have to do is ask and Jesus is right there to keep sustaining them. This is not a ‘God will give you whatever you want’ theology or ‘get rich quick plan’. We can’t miss what is on either side of ‘your wish is my command.’ “If you remain in me… bear much fruit…” will temper what it is we ask for.

“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” John 15:11 How did we get from painful pruning to joy? Does joy really come out of pain? The principle here is that pruning allows the tree or vine to concentrate on fruit bearing rather than sustaining more leaves. If we have too many distracters in our lives (not just too much to do, but habits, hobbies, personality traits, etc.) we may miss the things that will bring us real joy. We settle for little bits of happiness here and there rather than living a life full of joy. Pruning also allows more light to the branches that remain. Jesus is truth and light and we can see him and hear his voice if we get the distracters out of the way. Jesus has been showing his disciples what is really important in life – understanding the love of the Father and showing it to others.

“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.” John 15:12-14 Jesus didn’t give them a 12-point plan with 24 sub-points to follow. He is back to the basics. Love God, love each other. It seems this fruit Jesus is asking his disciples and us to bear is love for others. It is what separates a true disciple of Jesus from a nominal follower. As we allow the love of the Father (the sap in the vine) to flow through us, it will become apparent in our relationships with other people. If we approach every decision and every conflict with the goal to love, we will be demonstrating good, mature fruit. Jesus is about to go to the cross – give his life – because of his love for everyone. Our teacher has shown us the extent of his love and he expects us to be willing to love others to that extreme as well.

“This is my command: Love each other.” John 15:17

God, I can’t say that I look forward to being pruned. It hurts. But just like exercise that hurts builds up muscles and makes us stronger, I realize that pruning – taking some things away – will make me more fruitful - loving. I’m so glad that I can trust you to look at me and study me and determine what needs to go in order for me to be able to love more completely. When I’m in pain, sustain me. Help me to focus on you and your goals for me – for my joy to be complete and for me to bear much fruit – love for others. Thank you for loving me as a friend. I love you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment