Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Letting Go

“Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the King of Israel!” The crowd was shouting as they came out to meet Jesus. He was the one who raised Lazarus from the dead! Many were there when Lazarus walked out of the tomb. They believed him to be the Messiah and they were celebrating. John admits in his writing that the disciples didn’t understand what was happening until after Jesus had died and rose again. Prophecy was fulfilled right before their very eyes.

While the crowd was celebrating, the Pharisees were having a caucus. “See, this is getting us nowhere. Look how the whole world has gone after him!” John 12:19 Was it jealousy? Was it fear of the Roman government? It was obvious that their previous actions had not stopped this movement. It was getting out of control (well at least their perceived control).

In the midst of this celebration, Jesus is contemplating what is just around the corner for him. He did not get consumed by the popularity he was experiencing at the moment. He knew why he was here and what was going to have to happen yet to fulfill his purpose. So while the crowd is celebrating, he says, “The hour has come for the son of Man to be glorified. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves must follow me and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name.” John 12:23-28

As Jesus anticipates his death, he is continuing to teach principles of life. There are so many things about dying that we fear. But death is merely a transition. Jesus likened it to the kernel of wheat being planted in the ground and the new life and many seeds that come out of it. I think of the caterpillar that goes into a cocoon and appears to be dead but eventually comes out as a butterfly. It transitions from a creature that crawls to a creature that flies gracefully – from a creature that eats leaves to a creature that drinks nectar from flowers – totally transformed.

Jesus said that the one who holds on to life with everything he has will lose it. And the one who gives up his life will gain it for eternity. He is not telling us to walk out in front of a car, but he is asking us to quit holding on so tight to something that won’t take us where we are to go. If we quit trying to protect ourselves and begin living as servants of God, giving our lives back to him just as he gave his life for us, just maybe we can make a difference in this world. If I am not holding on so tightly to my life, maybe I can allow others to vent their anger and not have to defend myself or others, but rather love them through it and allow them to experience healing. If I am not holding on so tightly to my life, maybe I can risk caring for someone with Aids or some other horrible disease. If I am not holding on so tightly to my life, maybe I can give my time and resources to help those less fortunate than I.

What would I get in return if I let go of my life, my control, my way? Jesus says he will give me eternal life. And I really look forward to that day. But even here and now, when people are willing to lay down their lives, their demands, their entitlements, good things often follow. Communities experience healing from prejudice, poverty, and turmoil. Friendships are restored. People experience joy and peace even here and now. It’s a win-win situation! Things get better here and eternal life with Christ to come. The Apostle Paul puts it this way, “For me to live is Christ, to die is gain.” Philippians 1:21

I think I would like to start trying harder to recognize when I am holding on to life and let go a bit and see what God can do with my willingness to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment