Monday, September 28, 2009

If You Love Me

Through the years, I have found that when I really like another person, I begin to imitate some of their behaviors and mannerisms. I may use words that they like to use, begin to go places they like to go, etc. The older I get and the more people I have enjoyed through my life, the more of a mix of behaviors and mannerisms I have picked up. Some I drop along the way and they are replaced by others. I think that is true of others as well. I love to watch a young boy standing next to his father. If his father has a hand in his pocket, so does the young boy. If his father is looking thoughtful, so is the boy. The boy adores his father and is imitating his behaviors.

The disciples had been hanging out with Jesus for three years and learning from him. They were beginning to imitate his behaviors and giving up some of their own. Now their teacher and leader is telling them he is going where they can’t go, but they are to go on doing the things he has taught them to do. Not only did Jesus promise his disciples that they would be able to continue on and do even more than he had been doing with them, he promised them that he would not abandon them as orphans, but would give them “another Counselor to be with you forever – the Spirit of Truth.” John 14:16 Jesus said, “The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” John 14:17-21

There are several things stated or inferred here regarding the Holy Spirit as we have come to know this Counselor. The first is that Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit are the same but different. The concept of the ‘Trinity’ cannot begin to be understood by those who do not love God. Second, only those who love and keep Jesus’ commandments will be able to see him. Third, the Holy Spirit will be a Counselor to those who love God. And Fourth, The Holy Spirit is a Spirit of Truth – it will give good counsel to those who love God.

“If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.” John 14:23-24 “If anyone loves me…” indicates that we have a choice. We can choose to love him or not love him. And the litmus test for love is obedience. We all know that if someone says they love us and then turns around and does hateful things or ignores us completely, they do not really love us. They are just saying it. Love is not just a word or a feeling. It is an action.

If I go after God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength and learn from him and do what he has taught me, he has promised to stay right with me in the form of the Holy Spirit. He will instruct me and teach me truth. In this age when many media forms have made information abundant, I really need a compass to stay the course and not get blown away by all the conflicting thoughts and ideas. Yes, I need God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit to come and make their home with me. They are my Counselors for this journey. They are my comfort and my peace in the middle of the storms. They are my compass to guide me through rough passages. They are my companions whom I enjoy along the way. Yes, Lord, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment