Tuesday, September 8, 2009

LIVE!

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

We are seldom in a place that is so totally dark we cannot even see our hands if we put them right in front of our face. Why? Because light penetrates darkness. Darkness is easily overcome by light. Even the littlest bit of light can be helpful in seeing where we are going.

Jesus is claiming to be the light of the world. Once again, the Pharisees challenge him saying that his testimony about himself is not valid. Jesus claims that his testimony is valid because he knows where he came from and where he is going. And to comply with their law about testimonies only being valid if there are two, he says, I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.” John 8:18 Jesus also tells them, “If you knew me, you would know my Father as well.” John 8:19 And then, “You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.” John 8:23-24

“When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be, and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. The one who sent me is with me, he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.” John 8:28-29

I’ve read the end of the story. I know what happens to Jesus. I wonder if I would have believed he was who he said he was if I were there with him listening to him without knowing the end of the story. Or would I have been like the Pharisees questioning his right to testify about himself and distrusting that he was who he said he was? Yet, even if I had my doubts, I think I would have been very attracted to this one called Jesus. His teachings were radical and he taught with authority. And he kept talking about his Father. I have this desire deep inside that is always there to know who God is. And, while at first I would have thought he was referring to Joseph as his earthly father, it wouldn’t have taken me too long to see that he was talking about God as his Father. I would have tried to get to hear him every opportunity I had.

I am so grateful that John recorded many of these conversations and teachings, because now, 2000 years later, I can follow this Jesus around and listen to him. And I can decide if I believe that he is indeed the Messiah, just as those people who followed him around 2000 years ago.

From what I’ve heard today, my heart says, yes, I believe he is. And I know, deep in my soul, it is the words of my heavenly Father as well who says, “I have not left you alone. I love you so much.” My heart is drawn to spend time with this Father, getting to know him better and wanting to please him. After all, that is way Jesus came – to teach us about the love that God has for us, to clear up misunderstandings we have about God, to reconcile and rebuild relationships between us and God. He made himself like us so we could understand him better and hear his words of love to us. And he died so that we can live!

Lord, help me today to LIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment