Saturday, October 3, 2009

Anything You Want!

“I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.” John 16:23 All right! I’ll take a bigger house, a vacation in the islands, a new car and a yacht. Say what? That’s not what you mean? I thought anyone who is your follower is blessed with everything their heart desires!

“Look at the context, my child. You missed something.”

“Are you asking one another what I meant when I said, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me?’ I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.” John 16:19-24

It seems Jesus is preparing his disciples for the switch from asking him in person for things (understanding God and what he is doing specifically) to depending on the Holy Spirit and talking straight to the Father in his (Jesus’) name. He does not seem to be offering worldly wealth, but rather wisdom and a direct line to the Father for information and understanding. The Father will now be their teacher through the Holy Spirit in Jesus’ name. What is promised is not worldly wealth, but joy!

This morning, I took a walk in the woods. I had a wonderful time as God showed me one beautiful thing after another! First, there was the mist through the woods as the sun was rising. Then there was a gorgeous reflection on the lake as the water was smooth and still. The sun rays coming through the trees and reflecting off the mist took my breath away. I experienced amazing joy in his Creation as I spent time with him. No amount of worldly wealth can buy me this joy. I could have walked the path to the lake with my head down and missed everything. But I turned my eyes to my Father and asked him to show me what he had for me this morning. And WOW! It led to great joy.

I experience this when reading the Bible as well. As the Holy Spirit shows me time after time how much I am loved by the Father, I experience great joy. I am so thankful that Jesus didn’t just leave and that was it. He sent us a Counselor, a Spiritual Director we can trust, to assist us as we navigate our lives on this earth. There is nothing that money can buy that would be even close to equal to this. The joy that comes from relationship with the Father is so much greater than any big house, great vacation, or yacht could bring. And there are no maintenance headaches or costs! Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment