Monday, October 12, 2009

Every Knee Will Bow

As Jesus and his disciples entered the olive grove, they were likely flooded with memories of all the times they sat there and shared together. It was probably here that Jesus often ‘debriefed’ what had happened over the last hours or days and taught the disciples the mind and thoughts of his Father. Here they relaxed and enjoyed each other’s company. It was a place to get away from all the people and demands and ‘go deep’ – kind of like a retreat center, only it was very ‘primitive’ – nowhere close to a resort!

Obviously, it was a place they came often, as Judas knew right where to bring the authorities to arrest Jesus. I wonder why they didn’t just take Jesus when he was out in the public teaching and doing miracles. Why did they come to the place where Jesus and his disciples came away from the crowds? I’m guessing they (the soldiers, chief priests, and Pharisees) were afraid. If they really believed that Jesus was starting an insurrection, they did not know how many of the people in the crowds would join him and his followers in fighting back and there could be a pretty big uprising against the Roman government and that would not be good for the Jewish people because Rome would come down hard on them. By choosing the place away from the crowds, they could make a quick arrest and have it over before the crowds knew what happened.

Interestingly, when they approached Jesus, John tells us that Jesus asked them who they were looking for. When they said, “Jesus of Nazareth,” Jesus answered, “I am he.” John 18:5 In the recording of Moses being called to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, Moses asks the voice in the burning bush who he is. “Then he said, ‘I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.’ At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.” Exodus 3:6 When Moses asked God who he was supposed to tell the people had sent him, “God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Exodus 3:14 It is interesting that Jesus responded by saying, “I am he.” But even more interesting is what happened when he said it. “… they drew back and fell to the ground.” John 18:6 It doesn’t sound like they were in a position to arrest someone, but rather in a position of subservience.

"Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other. By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear. They will say of me, 'In the LORD alone are righteousness and strength.'" All who have raged against him will come to him and be put to shame. Isaiah 45:22-25

I wonder what those who were arresting Jesus thought when their knees bent and they fell to the ground. They must have been terribly afraid – both of Jesus and what was happening to them. I’m sure they scrambled back to their feet (as quickly as God would allow them to) trying to maintain command of the situation. But since no one was running and Jesus was yielding himself to them, they soon felt in control and powerful again. They, of course, did not understand that God was in full control – even after they fell to the ground.

Yet, they must have been confused and relieved when Jesus told Peter to put away the sword, there was not going to be a fight. The time had come and Jesus was ready. He was ‘prayed up’ and he knew what his Father was doing and he was ready to do his part – even to go to his death in humiliation on the cross. He could do this because he knew his Father and trusted him. “Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.” John 13:3-4

Do I know who I am, where I came from, what my purpose on earth is and where I am going? There is much power in knowing these things. Being able to answer those questions provides a compass for life. It sets a direction from which I do not wander. Can I say with Paul, “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain?” Philippians 1:21 This is a win-win situation. I don’t need to fear what evil people can do to me. Because I know where I came from and where I am going. I can walk with confidence through any storm this world brings me. I can bend my knee and serve others with humbleness because I know who I am.

Jesus showed the way. Do I have the courage and the commitment to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment