Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Desiring to Know

Many people are fascinated by the end times prophesies. Scholars have spent years studying and some even try to predict. But Jesus himself said, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Matthew 24:26 So that would appear to be a pretty worthless activity.

When the disciples asked the when and how we’ll know it’s coming, Jesus didn’t give them a date and time. Rather he cautioned them, “Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not follow them. When you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away.’” Luke 21:8-9

Jesus went on then to tell his disciples that there would be “great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.” Luke 21:11 But that is not where he wanted them to focus. He told them that they would be persecuted and that some of them would even be put to death for their faith. “But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.” Luke 21:14-15

Then he says an astounding thing. “All men will hate you because of me. But not a hair on your head will perish. By standing firm you will gain life.” Luke 21:17-19 He just finished telling them that some of them would be put to death and then immediately follows with not a hair on their head will perish. I wonder how this can be. The disciples have not yet seen Jesus rise from the dead, so I’m guessing they were pretty confused at this point. Jesus has a way of moving smoothly between the physical and spiritual realms and if we don’t follow that transition, we often come up with confusing ideas. In this case, I believe he is saying that their physical bodies are in for a beating, but their eternal bodies will not be harmed.

He goes on to talk about “signs of the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.” Luke 21:25-28

As he ends his dissertation on the end times, Jesus gives a warning. “Be careful or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.” Luke 21:34-36

There are a few things I know. Jesus will return. There are going to be a lot of catastrophic events prior to his return. When he comes, I will stand before him and give account for my life. All the other details can be argued by scholars and other interested parties. But it won’t change these events. So I intend to focus on being ready, investing each day the Lord gives me wisely, desiring to know him more and therefore seeking after him with all my heart. I can’t possibly know if he will return in my lifetime or if Christians will be here for the ‘great tribulation’ or not or many of the other details that people argue about. Even if I have a healthy curiosity about these events and enjoy a good argument with those with differing views, it won’t change the main event. Jesus is coming and I want to be ready.

While Jesus did teach from time to time about the end times, he focused way more on the kingdom of God and how to be good citizens of the kingdom of God. Those are things I can learn and they will prepare me for an eternity with my King Jesus. I’m going to trust that he has the end times under his control and I don’t need to worry about the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment