Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How Much is Enough

Should I tithe based on the gross or the net of my paycheck? Should I only give when I can get a tax-deductible receipt? Should I give to beggars who will use it to buy more beer or drugs? Should I give to someone who won’t go get a job to provide for themselves? Should I give to someone who doesn’t spend what they have wisely? What about giving to build a new building or for new furnishings in a building?

“As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. ‘I tell you the truth,’ he said, ‘this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.’” Luke 21:1-4

Maybe I’m asking all the wrong questions. Maybe I should be asking questions like, who does ‘my’ wealth belong to? Why do I have it? What am I expected to do with it? Does this mean that God wants me to sell everything I have and give the money all away? After all, that is what he asked the rich ruler to do in Luke 18.

I wonder if there are more issues here than whether I give $10, $100, or $1000 to a non-profit organization. For starters, how about trust? The woman gave everything she had to live on. That was her grocery money, modest as it was. Could I trust in God’s provisions for me enough to give away my grocery money?

Another issue is who does my wealth belong to? “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” James 1:17 Jesus taught parables about managing wealth that belonged to a master. It would seem that we are stewards of wealth given to us by God. So how would God have us use this wealth he has given us?

When I do a search for the word ‘wealth’ in the Bible, nearly all of the references are warnings against putting trust in earthly wealth and regarding mismanagement of wealth and the punishment for that. “Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.” James 5:3

I have ‘things’ stored in my house that I haven’t visited for years. I wonder if others could use those things. I have clothing in my closet I haven’t worn for years. I wonder if others could use those pieces of clothing. I have collections of books and videos that I haven’t read or watched for many years. I wonder if others would find enjoyment in those. And that is just the stuff I don’t use. How much more have I been blessed with that I have hoarded and not shared?

It is so easy to compare myself with others who have so much more than me and think maybe I have this one down. But if I took the time to compare myself to others who have so much less than me, would my heart become more tender and willing to share?

And then, to take it another step, what about my wealth of knowledge and wisdom from Scripture? Is it right for me to ‘hoard’ that and keep it to myself? Do I really understand the good news that Jesus brought us? Am I anxious for others to know and understand how much they are loved by our Father? Am I working to develop the heart and love for others that the Father has? I wonder, if everyone who calls themselves a Christian were to share freely both their physical wealth and their knowledge of Christ, would there be any poverty in the world? Would there be any places in the world where the Gospel was not preached and heard?

God, please help me to be a good steward of all that you have given me. Help me to multiply the gifts you have given me by sharing them with others. And help me to not pass by those who need to hear your good news, but to share that freely as well. You have given me more than enough so that I can share. Help me to hold everything you have given me with an open hand, giving back to you and sharing freely with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment