Friday, April 16, 2010

King of the Mountain

From birth, our finite minds center on self. As we grow, we discover there are other people in the world and eventually most of us even figure out that those others have feelings and desires as well. We have this desire to be the best at what we do. So as children, we play King of the Mountain, pushing each other off the chosen location until only the strongest can stay. And as young adults we set out to conquer the world assuming we will come back a victor.

Then Jesus walks into our lives and captures our imaginations with a different way of looking at the world.

“Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be the greatest. Jesus said to them, ‘The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.’” Luke 22:25-27

Jesus, God’s only Son, who has every right to ‘lord it over us,’ chose to serve. If the Holy One, full of power and honor, chooses to serve, how can I as a follower ignore that? John told us a little more about that evening with Jesus. “Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around the waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.” John 13:3-5

When I chose to follow Jesus, I was too young to fully understand this idea of serving. But the longer I live, the more I understand. It is in serving that we keep from becoming full of ourselves as we take leadership positions, as we become better known in the world around us. It is in serving that we demonstrate God’s love for others. It is in serving that we come closest to the heart of God. And it is in serving that we keep in touch with those less fortunate than ourselves and learn to love them. As a body of Christ, we learn to be served as well because that is what allows other believers to also serve.

After Jesus had washed the feet of his disciples, he asked them, “Do you understand what I have done for you? You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.” John 13:12-17

Lord, I choose to serve you today by serving others. Open my eyes to see who needs your hands gently washing their feet and your towel wrapped around my waist gently drying them. Help me to love as you love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment