Thursday, April 15, 2010

When a Friend Betrays

The Passover was quickly approaching. Jesus has made his entrance into Jerusalem on a donkey with the crowds shouting, “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!” And the chief priests and teachers of the law are not happy. In fact, they are continuing to look for a way to get rid of Jesus. Satan finds a willing accomplice in Judas Iscariot, one of Jesus’ twelve disciples. Judas knows that the religious leaders are looking for a way to get Jesus away from the crowds. And Judas knows Jesus habits and where he goes to be alone. “And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus. They were delighted and agreed to give him money. He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present.” Luke 22:4-6

As they sat at the Passover table, Jesus told his friends, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.” Luke 22:15-16. There are four cups of wine throughout the Passover. They tell the story of the deliverance of the Israelites from Egypt. The first is the Cup of Sanctification (I will bring you out), the second is the Cup of Plagues (I will deliver you from slavery), the third is the Cup of Redemption (I will redeem you with an outstretched arm), and the fourth is a cup of Ingathering (I will take you as my own people). The cup that we know as the communion cup would have been the third cup, right after the meal – the Cup of Redemption. With that cup, Jesus said, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed, but woe to that man who betrays him.” Luke 22:20-22

“They began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this.” Luke 22:23 I wonder about this. If Judas was the ‘bad guy,’ wouldn’t they have known? So it would appear that all the time the disciples were with Jesus, Jesus treated his betrayer no differently than the others. And Judas apparently behaved similar to the others. Anyone who has ever been betrayed by a friend in any way would tell you that there is no deeper hurt than being betrayed by a friend. And the closer the friend, the worse the hurt. How could Jesus treat Judas the same as the others? Did he not know?

Actually, I’m quite sure he did know. This same Jesus sent Peter and John ahead to prepare for the Passover. He told them, “As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters, and say to the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ He will show you a large upper room, all furnished. Make preparations there.” Luke 22:10-12 A similar thing had happened with procuring the donkey for Jesus to ride. And early in his ministry Jesus saw Nathanael sitting under the fig tree. Yes, I believe Jesus knew what Judas would do. Yet, he loved him and treated him just as everyone else.

It is a lot easier to ‘forgive’ people for things they do to other people. But when your friends do something that is hurtful to you or someone you love, it is not so easy to forgive. But Jesus knew what he was here on earth to do and he didn’t wait for the big moment on the cross to forgive. Rather, his whole life was a life of grace and mercy and forgiveness. I have so much to learn. I begin to understand even more why it is so important to keep building my relationship with God through prayer, meditation and reading his Word. Loving others in this way is more than I can do within my own earthly flesh.

And I begin to understand that Jesus died for everyone – not just those who are sort of good or very good. He died even for those who have done the worst of crimes against other people. “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8 There is no one God does not love. He is willing to forgive anyone who comes to him and asks. This love is way more than I can understand, but I’ll keep trying because I want to be more like my heavenly Father.

Does it hurt to be betrayed? Absolutely! Did Jesus feel that hurt? I’m sure of it. Did he love anyway? Yes he did. And then the hardest question of all – Have I betrayed Jesus? Do I need his forgiveness as well? Unfortunately, yes. And hopefully as I grow and learn from him, I will do it less and love him more. I am so grateful that God is a God of second chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment