Friday, September 3, 2010

Engaging in Battle

Deuteronomy begins with a quick summary of the Israelite’s journey from Egypt to the Promised Land. When they began their journey, God told them, “You need only to be still. I will fight the battle for you.” Exodus 14:14 paraphrased. They were a defeated people at that time. They had been enslaved to the Egyptians for some time and were weary and confused. God was strengthening their faith and their trust in him and the leadership of Moses.

Now, after many years wondering in the desert and the passing of the older generation, God has a different message for them. As they are about to enter the Promised Land, he says, “Set out now and cross the Arnon Gorge. See, I have given into your hand Sihon the Amorite, king of Heshbon, and his country. Begin to take possession of it and engage him in battle.” Deuteronomy 2:24. God says, “I have given,” but you need to “begin to take possession.”

Suddenly, I wonder if this is just the history of Israel or if there is more here in understanding how God works. Might this message be for us today? In the Old Testament, we see a physical battle of Israel taking possession of the land God has given them. In the New Testament, we see a spiritual battle as the Kingdom of God comes lead by King Jesus. I wonder then, since I am part of this Kingdom since I am a follower of King Jesus, am I being told to look around me and notice the ‘sphere of influence’ I might have in my surrounding community? I wonder if God might be saying, “I want you to engage in the spiritual battle in this community you live in. I have already given it to you. You need to engage in the spiritual battle for the souls of those around you.”

This sounds very much like I need to be doing something – not just sitting around waiting for God to do it all. And if I need to be doing something, I am going to do far better if I am tuned into God’s wisdom. God gives the Israelites his wisdom as they set out. “Hear now, O Israel, the decrees and laws I am about to teach you. Follow them so that you may live and may go in and take possession of the land that the Lord, the God of your fathers, is giving you. Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you.” Deuteronomy 4:1-2 He goes on to tell them, “Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’” Deuteronomy 4:6

As I engage in the spiritual battles around me, my wisdom comes from obedience to God’s commands. In living a life that honors my Commander in Chief, others will take notice and will be drawn to his wisdom and understanding as well. And as they choose to come under the Kingship of Jesus and as they learn to become obedient to his commands, they will influence those around them, and the Kingdom of God will continue to grow.

It is an interesting battle we are engaging in. The war is already won. Jesus made sure of that when he died on the cross and rose again. But we are to engage in battle – in the spiritual warfare that is occurring around us – with those who ‘didn’t get the memo’ and continue to act as though there is no God or the battle hasn’t been won.

Our marching orders have been given. Go forth! Engage in the battle and take possession of the land God has given you!

No comments:

Post a Comment