Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pride Goeth Before a Fall

Proverbs 16:18 is often quoted [paraphrased] by gloating people watching a haughty person go down. But it is also at the heart of the story in I Chronicles 21. “Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel.” I Chronicles 21:1 I used to read over that verse quickly and once in a while wonder what a census had to do with anything. But the chapter seemed to be about the choices God gave David and the fact that David chose to have Israel punished by the plague for three days because he would rather be in the hands of God then in the hands of men. However, as I read it today, it seems to be about David and pride.

Why would David take a census and what would be wrong with that? As I read the Old Testament, it seems that kings rise and fall based on the man power of their armies and how many chariots and horses they have. But David was different. His strength came from God and he knew it. He won battles that, by human standards, he should not have won. He conquered territories that he should not have been able to. But in taking that census, he turned his eyes away from God and began to look at how big his army was and would it be big enough to meet his next goal. He was becoming proud of the army he could muster and thinking that he was a great leader who could win any battle he put his mind to. That is when God sent Gad to David with the message of choices.

“This is what the Lord says: ‘Take your choice: three years of famine, three months of being swept away before your enemies, with their swords overtaking you, or three days of the sword of the Lord – days of plague ravaging every part of Israel.’ Now then, decide how I should answer one who sent me.’” I Chronicles 21:11-12

David chose the plague. I wonder why he didn’t say to God, “It was my sin. Why should the people be punished?” But he didn’t. He was still operating out of pride. Even his choice was prideful. To be chased by the sword of other armies would make him look incapable of leading his army to victory and famine would make him look incapable of providing for his people. But no one would expect him to be able to control a plague. It was also the shortest of the punishments – only three days rather than three months or three years.

Only after 70,000 people died from the plague did David finally admit his guilt and responsibility. “David said to God, ‘Was it not I who ordered the fighting men to be counted? I am the one who has sinned and done wrong. These are but sheep. What have they done? O Lord my God, let your hand fall upon me and my family, but do not let this plague remain on your people.’” I Chronicles 21:17 David finally accepted responsibility for the situation and that is when God stopped the plague.

I wonder how many times the pride of leaders in the church has caused injury to the ‘sheep’ through the generations. And I wonder how many times my pride has caused injury to others in my sphere of influence. It gives me great comfort to know that God forgave David even for sins that harmed other people. And it spurs me on to understand what it means to be humble before God. When I get in trouble, it is pretty much always because of my pride in myself and wanting things my way. When I am humble before God and allow myself to be less and God to be more, good things happen – others are blessed and drawn closer to God’s heart.

Lord, keep my humble before you. Open my eyes to see when I am destroying others because of my pride. Forgive me and bring healing through your power, your mercy and your love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment