Monday, September 20, 2010

Genealogy and Faith

As I read through names, “___ son of ___ son of ___,” my eyelids begin to droop. But wait, what is that name? Jabez? Why is his prayer in the middle of a genealogy? David, on the other hand, is listed as one of Jesse’s sons with no other comment. What’s with that?

There are many faith stories in the Old Testament. Maybe the prayer of Jabez is there because it is a faith story and there was no other good place to put it. Short and sweet, he is praying for his territory to be enlarged, for God’s hand to be on him, and to be free from pain. And it tells us God granted his request. (I Chronicles 4:9-10) Today, this is a well known prayer thanks to Bruce Wilkenson and the book he wrote regarding it. Unfortunately, it is an often misunderstood prayer. It has become a ‘mantra’ for many people thinking that if they pray this prayer, God will give them all the earthly pleasures they desire, totally missing the part of the prayer about God’s hand being on them. I wonder what Jabez meant when he asked for God’s hand to be on him and keep him from harm.

In order for God’s hand to be on him, they would need a pretty close relationship – God and Jabez. I wonder what God was doing with Jabez at that time. I wonder how much influence Jabez had on others as he related to God closely. And I wonder what was about to harm him that he was praying to be kept from harm.

And then there is David, who in the genealogy is simply a name. Yet because of other writings in the Old Testament, we know a lot about David. And the first story any of us learn about David is his fight with Goliath, the Philistine giant. One small stone placed in a slingshot, aimed and released at the giant’s head, a fallen giant who then is decapitated by his own sword. Great victory for the Israelites – gruesome story for the tender of heart.

It occurs to me that this faith story of David can also be my faith story – in a spiritual war where the giants of science and intellect are taunting me. The stone I place in my slingshot is the nugget of truth found in God’s Word. The slingshot is the conversation, writing, prayer, or speech with others. Carefully aimed at the giant, the nugget of truth knocks him off balance and he falls. I grab my sword, God’s Word (Ephesians 6) and cut off the head so the giant will not rise again. Another victory!

God helps me take down one giant at a time and enlarges my sphere of influence as I have more experiences and meet more people. As I experience victory, I am energized to keep going. Now I have a faith story to tell. It won’t show up in Chronicles. It probably won’t even make the local newspaper. But as I tell my story, others will be encouraged and will begin to pick up their nuggets, put them in their slingshot and go after the giants in their lives. And the kingdom will grow – God’s kingdom. He will expand our territory when we become his servants, fighting to help more people find their way back to God, their Creator and lover of their souls.

May God’s hand be on me and enlarge my territory and keep me from harm so his kingdom will come here on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment