Saturday, September 18, 2010

When Leadership Fails

Jeremiah is often called the ‘weeping prophet’ because of the terrible message he had to give to the people of Israel. His heart was torn because no matter what he said, how emphatic he was or how much he shared with the people about what God was about to do, they would not repent and turn their hearts back to God.

As I read the book of Jeremiah, it becomes clear that the people ‘think’ they are honoring God. They go to the Temple, they celebrate the feasts, they make their sacrifices, and some of them even fast. But as they leave the Temple, they go on sinning, they go to their high places, make sacrifices to other gods, and even throw their children into the fire as sacrifices to other gods. Over and over, Jeremiah tries to call this to their attention and get them to turn around before it is too late.

Periodically, throughout the prophecies of Jeremiah, he addresses the leadership – the kings, the priests and teachers of the Law. “The shepherds are senseless and do not inquire of the Lord; so they do not prosper and all their flock is scattered.” Jeremiah 10:21 “Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?... But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain, on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion.” Jeremiah 22:15 & 17 “Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasture!” Jeremiah 23:1 “’Both prophet and priests are godless; even in my temple I find their wickedness,’ declares the Lord. ‘Therefore their path will become slippery; they will be banished to darkness and there they will fall. I will bring disaster on them in the year they are punished,’ declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 23:11-12

Several things become clear as I look at Jeremiah, the leadership and the people. Jeremiah was a lonely man. He had a very difficult and strong message to give to the leadership and to the people. The leadership had failed miserably in keeping the people’s hearts turned toward God. Their own hearts had become hardened and unable to hear God’s voice. They and all the people had absorbed the sinful practices of the people groups around them, little by little, probably not even noticing how much they had changed over the years. Jeremiah tried to remind them where they had come from and show them how much they had fallen. But he also tried to remind them that they had a loving and forgiving God and that if they would turn their hearts and their faces back to God, he would be there for them.

God shows his tender heart over and over in his concern for the ‘scattered sheep’. “’I will place shepherds over them who will tend them, and they will no longer be afraid or terrified, nor will any be missing,’ declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 23:4

“Then the Lord asked me, ‘What do you see,’ Jeremiah? ‘Figs,’ I answered. ‘The good ones are very good, but the poor ones are so bad they cannot be eaten.’ Then the word of the Lord came to me: ‘This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians. My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart. But like the poor figs, which are so bad they cannot be eaten,’ says the Lord, ‘so will I deal with Zedekiah, king of Judah, his officials and the survivors from Jerusalem, whether they remain in this land or live in Egypt. I will make them abhorrent and an offense to all the kingdoms of the earth, a reproach and a byword, an object of ridicule and cursing, wherever I banish them. I will send the sword, famine, and plague against them until they are destroyed from the land I gave them and their fathers.’” Jeremiah 24:3-10

God holds leadership responsible. I wonder, then, what causes leaders to fail? I wonder what causes some people to advance as leaders? Leadership carries with it things like popularity, money, power, and control. Popularity is kept alive by saying and doing what the people ‘think’ they want. More money comes in when popularity is kept alive. Position gives power and control. When we experience money, power, and control, we want more and more. That is the human state.

Godly leadership looks very different than worldly leadership. Godly leadership is humble, drawing wisdom from God, not concerned with gaining more wealth, power, or control, but understanding that God is their wisdom, God is their strength, and God is in control. Godly leadership looks more like a servant – like a shepherd caring for the flock entrusted to him/her. That means leading them to good food and water, binding their wounds, and keeping evil wolves and lions and bears away so they are not harmed. When leaders forget that they are a servant and believe they are a king, parading in fine clothes and showing off their gains, that is when they fail. And when they fail, many people are hurt. And so we find God stepping in over and over to rescue his people. “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me – just as the Father knows me and I know the Father – and I lay down my life for the sheep.” John 10:14

If I am called to be a leader, the most significant thing I can do is keep my heart in tune with God’s heart. I need to put blinders on to the world’s enticements and keep my eyes on my heavenly Father. He will show me whose wounds need binding and whose hearts are ready to be taught to follow him. False humility won’t cut it. Only true humility, knowing who my God is and what he has done for me and where my righteousness comes from, will keep me from failing as a leader.

Lord, please help me to keep my eyes on you, to live as your humble servant. You are my King. I give my life in service to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment