Thursday, September 9, 2010

Whose Church Is It?

I wonder, why do we go to church on Sunday? Is it to see friends? Is it to hear a good sermon? Is it because we have responsibilities to lead worship or teach Sunday School? Is it to keep a good image among friends and acquaintances? Is it because that’s what we’ve always done? What do we expect to happen on a Sunday morning in church?

The Israelites had Sabbath rituals and routines. They continued these even as they worshipped other gods. “’The multitude of your sacrifices – what are they to me?’ says the Lord. ‘I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats. When you come to appear before me, who has asked this of you, this trampling of my courts? Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me. New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations – I cannot bear your evil assemblies. Your New Moon festivals and your appointed feasts my soul hates. They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen.’” Isaiah 1:11-14

The Israelites thought they were keeping all the Sabbath laws and ‘honoring’ God with their festivals as they were set up back in the days of Moses. But God does not sound very happy with them. “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men.” Isaiah 29:13 It seems that God isn’t so interested with what we do as to where are hearts are at when we are doing it. It is not the gift or sacrifice that pleases God, but rather it is the giving and sacrificial heart of the giver that pleases him. It is not the person who attends a worship service, but the person who comes to worship with all his/her heart that pleases God.

With that understanding of God in my mind, I begin to wonder about our churches today. I wonder if God is weary of our Sunday morning routines. We compete with sports, water parks, and picnics, and in order to keep people coming, we have become a consumer oriented church – providing programs for children, teens and adults. We provide show – I mean worship bands to lead us in singing. We hire charismatic speakers who tell people all the wonderful things God will do for them if they put their money in the offering plate.

Isaiah said of the people, “These are rebellious people, deceitful children, children unwilling to listen to the Lord’s instruction. They say to the seers, ‘See no more visions!’ and to the prophets, ‘Give us no more visions of what is right! Tell us pleasant things, prophesy illusions. Leave this way, get off this path, and stop confronting us with the Holy One of Israel!’” Isaiah 30:10-11

I wonder if that is what we are telling our pastors. “Don’t teach us from Scripture – that is too boring or out of date.” Or, “Don’t make us too uncomfortable with our wealth or our lifestyles.” And if a pastor crosses the line and begins to challenge people to change, he or she may soon be looking for a new position since they are paid positions and can be voted out just as easily as they are voted in.

Are we any different from the Israelites? Are we trying to follow the ways of the world while pretending to worship and honor God?

“’Woe to the obstinate children,’ declares the Lord, ‘to those who carry out plans that are not mine, forming an alliance, but not by my Spirit.’” Isaiah 30:1

“This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel says: ‘In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it… Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!” Isaiah 30:15 & 18

I wonder if I listen more closely for God’s voice, if I will hear him saying, “I’m weary of all your going through the motions. I want your heart. I want all of you!” And I wonder how I will respond when I hear that voice? Will I drop all my pretenses and come to God’s altar to honor him with my life? Will I sing joyfully as I praise the gracious and compassionate God who saves me? Will I give freely – even sacrificially – because he has blessed me so much and I know that he will supply my needs – I don’t have to hold on to things so tightly?

May God continue to shape my heart into one that loves and honors him with my life and with all that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment